Thread: Piazza to be a coach next year?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Piazza to be a coach next year?

Piazza: I'd like to be wanted

BY STEVE ZIPAY
    STAFF WRITER

August 5, 2005

Unless the Mets' brain trust considers him a "burden," Mike Piazza apparently would consider a role as a type of player-coach and mentor for the club next season.

"I'm kind of caught because I never wanted to be a burden," Piazza told Fox baseball analyst Kevin Kennedy in an interview that will air tomorrow before the network's Mets-Cubs telecast. "I never want them to be like, 'Now we have this guy to contend with.' I always wanted to be part of the solution and not the problem.

"We'll see what direction they want to go in. Maybe there is a chance to stay ... maybe they want to get another catcher and I can work in and do some things. That's something right now that we don't have the time for ... that's not the immediate focus."

Piazza, who turns 37 next month and is in the final year of his contract with the Mets, acknowledged that the franchise has "been so generous to me ... New York and the fans there will always be part of me."

Yet Piazza, who hit his 392nd homer and had five RBIs yesterday against the Brewers, understands that moving to the AL might make more sense at this stage in his career.

"If I can get into a situation and DH and maybe catch a little bit," he told Kennedy. "I just want to be a positive influence. I want people to say, 'We like having him around; he's a positive influence on the young guys,' and impart some of the knowledge I have from the years of catching."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man, Piazza is really humble with this approach. I don't know whether to take this as a complaint or a really huge sacrifice. He acknowledges that he may not be the best fit for this team any longer. This is a huge step forward for his character if he is really just trying to help this team. Thing is, I think Piazza really should find an AL team that needs a DH.

AA ERA
    There's only 14 DH spots, but everyone seems to be rumored to become one. I think this may work better for Piazza. Just depends who is looking for a DH.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He's the type of guy, no matter what team, that you just can't help but like. Classy ballplayer in every aspect.

Rookie ERA
    I think Piazza would be better off becoming a coach. I mean, he's pasted his prime, and I think from this point on, he'd be better influencing other people and coaching the team as an experienced role model to the younger players...

Rookie ERA
    If I were the Mets, i would go to re-sign him. There are no catchers better than him and that iincludes Posada and Varitek in the whole league. And his kind of bat in the 7th or 6th whole would be great. Also, he wouldnt be costing 15 million dollars.