Thread: Wright gives Mientkiewicz batting tips!

Rookie ERA

Wright gives Mientkiewicz batting tips!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Herzog, Newsday; Jul 22, 2005
    Doug Mientkiewicz, 31, had no problem taking hitting advice from David Wright, 22. The first baseman, who is still struggling to find the stroke that made him a .272 lifetime hitter entering this season, said Wright came to him during Wednesday night's game and said Mientkiewicz wasn't getting his hands started quickly enough on his swing.

Yesterday, the tip paid off. Mientkiewicz, batting .223, had a homer, an RBI single, a long flyout to center and a thank you for the kid, who was called up to the Mets one year ago yesterday.

"If you're a teammate and you've seen a guy often enough, it has nothing to do with your age group," Mientkiewicz said. "That's just being a teammate. That shows he's paying attention. That's good for a young player. He's not just sitting there with his thumb up his nose. I told him don't ever be hesitant to come up and say something to me. I don't care if you're 13 years old. I've taken hitting tips from guys' sons before."

David Wright as his own stuff

Wright is listening to his own advice, too. He completed a 5-for-12 series and extended his hitting streak to eight games by delivering two hits in the seven-run sixth, a leadoff single and a two-run double. He is batting .375 (12-for-32) during the streak and raised his average to .291.

Yesterday, he conducted interviews beneath a handwritten sign a teammate had taped above his locker that read, "Congratulations on 1 year in the Big Leagues."

AA ERA
    M. never has really been a great hitter and I don't expect this advice to end up doing much. Maybe get him a little hotter, but nothing too much.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle