Thread: Wilpon Sounds Off

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mets Wilpon Sounds Off

New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon takes shot at Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran - ESPN New York

Wilpon goes off on Wright, Beltran, Reyes and even calls Minaya a schmuck. There is nothing good that can come from this. Wright could ask to be traded and Reyes is certainly not coming back next season. Its going to be fun to watch the Mets crumble this season.

Rookie ERA

Re: Wilpon Sounds Off

Minaya is a schmuck.

He should have waited until after the team dealt or let these guys go before he started talking.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's been fun for years watching them wiggle around like their heads are cut off. Braves should trade for Wright. Good character clubhouse guy, perfect for them, and he would take the reins from Chipper.

It's wishful thinking in my own little world.

MLB ERA

I don't even know where Reyes would go? can't find a fit
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Reyes for this year? The Giants Reyes for next year, I can see the Mariners and Angels.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I agree. What was he trying to acomplish with this? This certainly doesn't help their situation AT ALL.

Was he thinking this might motivate those players that he ripped? I don't know. Stupid if you ask me.

When I think of David Wright I think of him as the face of that franchise. I wonder how he is feeling now after hearing these asinine remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer_
    Its going to be fun to watch the Mets crumble this season.
    That, however, I do agree with.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

FYI, the schmuck who Wilpon was referring to was actually himself, in self-deprecating humor.

But you would be bitter too if victims of Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme are suing you just because you happened to have been his highest-profile client. It doesn't help if your baseball team is playing like shit, either.

Rookie ERA

Since Fred was also including himself in this rant it doesn't seem like the players (at least publicly ) are too bent out of shape, at least not the comments so far. I also think it is different coming out of a guy that's been an owner for a long time, similar to the rantings of say "The Boss".

MLB ERA

As mofo said, Wilpon was calling himself a schmuck, not Omar.

The purpose his comments were intended to serve? You act like Fred considered that. Clearly the guy needs someone from PR sitting by his side for every interview from now on....someone to smack him when he goes off topic and tells him to shut up.

And to be honest, I don't think this has any impact on the players. Reyes and Wright have said repeatedly that they want to stay in New York, and trust me, that's not because of Wilpon...

Banned
    Rookie ERA

There has been a lot of owners and GM's this year who have put there foot in there mouths. This sort of stuff should be kept under wraps between the clubhouse so the media can't get a hold of it and blow it all out of proportion.

MLB ERA

The problem was that Wilpon said this in an interview. He was sitting down with a writer from the New Yorker, and didn't consider what he was saying. To me, owners and GM's have to have some kind of filter for what they say, not because it's going to effect the team or anything, just because it looks bad.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I read through that New Yorker article, and it's worth pointing out that it was just Fred Wilpon and the writer making conversation while they were watching a Mets game together. It wasn't like Fred went off on a rant. This is just everybody overreacting to an aside to the main story, which was the Madoff thing, but obviously that is of little interest to ESPN.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 07-30-2011 at 05:11 AM.