Thread: Could the Mets Trade Reyes

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

Mets Could the Mets Trade Reyes

Could the Mets trade Jose Reyes?

That's what Matt Pignataro of 7 Train to Shea is reporting, saying that the Mets will look to trade the shortstop at the winter meetings after putting out word he is available.

Reyes, entering the final year of a contract that required an $11 million club option to be exercised for the upcoming season, would be in heavy demand by many teams thanks to scarcity of options at shortstop. Reyes was a top shortstop prior to getting hurt after just 36 games in 2009 with a hamstring strain. He returned to full-time action in 2010, grabbing 603 plate appearances but didn't showcase his previous power nor his plate discipline. As a result, Reyes hit just .282/.321/.428.

The 27-year-old is still young enough and talented enough to recapture his magic, and the Red Sox, Orioles and Rays have already phoned New York to feel the club out about Reyes. Tampa Bay would likely only have passing interest due to how difficult it would be to extend Reyes. The Red Sox, meanwhile, do have prospect Jose Iglesias in the minors but could change up their plans if it meant getting Reyes.

Baltimore may be the best fit as a rebuilding team flush with young talent, an ability to spend for the right person and a desire to bring in a top name player. Other clubs that could be interested include the Yankees (although that opens up a can of worms with Derek Jeter), Tigers, Angels, Mariners, Reds and Giants.

If Reyes is indeed traded, the deal would certainly highlight all the transactions sure to be made at the winter meetings. However, it's not clear how much credence can be given to this report.

-- Evan Brunell

This would surely add to the quality of shortstops available this off season. Three teams have inquired about Reyes one of which is the Baltimore Orioles who will not bring back defensive minded Cesar Iztruis. The Orioles would have the young pitching to trade in possibily a Chris Tillman as the main part of the trade. The others who have shown interest in Reyes are the Red Sox, Rays, Tigers(who I doubt now since they signed Peralta),Angels, Mariners, Reds, and Giants.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Could the Mets Trade Reyes

I don't see the Mets trading Reyes unless they have some stud in the minors that can replace him that I am somehow unaware of. I don't see the point of trading Reyes while his stock is lower than normal. I would love to have a guy like Reyes on the Giants but just don't see the Mets trading him.

MLB ERA

The Mets COULD trade him. But where I disagree with this report is the phrase "look to trade him." The Mets will NOT look to trade Jose Reyes. They will likely listen to offers, they may even consider it, but unless they get a BIG offer, I can't see Jose leaving. There's been talk for a while that Jose may or may not remain a Met beyond 2010/2011, and I wouldn't say that I'm convinced he's staying beyond this year. However, I don't see any of the teams listed finding a logical reason to offer what it would take for Sandy Alderson to trade a star, hojme grown, fan favorite who's among the best at his position.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree LJ. If Reyes had his current deal and current performance with many other clubs, he would be on the block. The Mets can afford waiting to see if his game returns, because if it does, they either will benefit from his long-term value or his sky-high trade value.