Thread: 2 for the DL

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mets 2 for the DL

So it begins gentlemen! Reyes as expected will be placed on the DL. But he will be joined by Daniel Murphy. That adds to Kelvim Escobar and Carlos Beltran. Good start for the mets.

Alex Cora will replace Reyes, Mike Jacobs makes a triumphant return to replace Murphy (that honest may or may not be an upgrade). The Sarge's son will take over CF and who knows what will be in the pen replacing Escobar. I think they might as well put Ollie Perez on the DL for any reason they can think of

New York Mets' Daniel Murphy to start year on DL - ESPN

Source: New York Mets SS Jose Reyes to open season on DL - ESPN
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: 2 for the DL

jacobs over murphy is a definite upgrade... if the mets had any brains theyd have played ike davis more in spring training, because he couldve easily won the job over both. murphy is a pitiful ball player.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Is this starting to look a lot like last year? The Mets have the names, but those names aren't able to get in the lineup. This team looks like it may take yet another step back.

With the powerhouse Phillies and the young and talented Braves in their division, I see these Mets as a struggling bunch unless things change rapidly in their favor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The mets wouldn't contend even with a healthy Reyes or Beltran. They have no rotation and a makeshift pen leading up to Rodriguez.
    Ted

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jose Reyes on the DL? I haven't been this surprised since I heard that Brad Lidge would be going on the DL.

MLB ERA

I disagree with most of what has been written here. Jose's not on the DL for long by all accounts. He's already in rehab, and he has been playing in games already, his season will simply be starting a few days late.

As for Murphy, he is an interesting player. He's no star, never will be. But honestly, he does have plenty of talent as a Mark DeRosa style player. He can play 1B, 2B, and 3B decently. He's got a solid bat with improving power. He will never be a superstar, but as an average defender with position flexibility and 15-20 HR power, he'll find a spot on a roster, and with good reason.

Jacobs is NOT an upgrade in any stretch of the imagination. Chris Carter was the one who SHOULD have won the job. Mike Jacobs and his .220 or so batting average and MISERABLE first base defense is far inferior to Murphy who actually proved to be a good defensive 1B last year. Neither is a star, and the drop off isn't massive, but there is a drop off from Murph to Jacobs.

No matter how much Ike Davis had played in Spring Training (he played a bunch early on before being sent to Minor League Camp), he was never going to be on the opening day roster. The Mets have been ripped endlessly for promoting guys like Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez too early, leading to people unfairly considering F-Mart a bust. They are doing the same with Jennry Mejia right now (unfortunately). Ike is a 20 year old who's never played in AAA. He may well be playing at Citi Field by the end of the year, but the idea that the Mets erred in sending him to the minors is laughable.

Finally, I don't think anyone expects the Mets to contend this year. I certainly don't. But, I believe they can grow, they can win some games, and they can set themselves up for the future (partially by getting rid of Omar and Jerry at some point soon).

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They promoted Murphy too early. Can't hit, or field. Good player!
    Ted

MLB ERA

If you watched the Mets down the stretch last year, you'd have seen that Murphy is far better and more capable than you give him credit for. Essentially a rookie hitting .266 with 12 HR and 60+ RBI is not bad. He has room to improve offensively. He was horrific in the outfield, but at first base by absolutely every account he was fine. He wasn't stellar, he was an average to above average defensive 1B. He actually had the 2nd best UZR of NL first basemen. Don't bash the kid. I'm not saying he's gonna be the next Pujols, but he has potential.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_im...ew-nl-2009.png