Thread: Tony Bernazard Challenges Team to Fight

MLB ERA

Mets Tony Bernazard Challenges Team to Fight

Apparently he is less than impressed with the effort he's been seeing recently. Here is a story: Report: Tony Bernazard, New York Mets executive, challenges minor league team to fight in clubhouse tirade - ESPN
    Comments?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Re: Tony Bernazard Challenges Team to Fight

It was the AA team, not the MLB team.

But, I've been saying since last year that Bernazard is a bad guy to have around an organization and needs to be let go. He allegedly was behind the firings of Willie Randolph and Rick Peterson. He allegedly cursed out an opposing scout at a ballgame because the scout was in "the seat he wanted". He allegedly told hispanic players not to trust Willie, and to go straight to him with any problems.

It's ridiculous, and I'm not sure how this guy has a freaking job anymore.

MLB ERA

Perhaps his difficulty is with the effort he is seeing from the Binghamton team? His attitude doesn't really help, but his observations may be correct.
    Yes, I know it wasn't the major league team, but then the Mets really don't have one right now, do they? All of the players on the DL would make up a very nice team.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Perhaps his difficulty is with the effort he is seeing from the Binghamton team? His attitude doesn't really help, but his observations may be correct.
    Yes, I know it wasn't the major league team, but then the Mets really don't have one right now, do they? All of the players on the DL would make up a very nice team.
    Agreed completely. Allegedly, the reason he flipped out on the Binghamton team was rumors of underage drinking. Doesn't seem like enough of a deal to challenge the team to a fight to me...

His observations in this case may be correct, but he seems to be unable to maintain the steady and calm persona necessary for a VP of a baseball team...

MLB ERA

He may not be able to control his temper, but he certainly is a good "baseball" guy. No one doubts his knowledge.

MLB ERA

He may not be able to control his temper, but he certainly is a good "baseball" guy. No one doubts his knowledge.
    What makes him a good baseball guy? He basically reports to Minaya on the Mets minor league system. The AAA and AA teams are a combined 40 something games under .500. He's nothing special based on what I know, and he seems to have a negative impact on many different areas of the organization thanks to his notion that he is more important than he is.

MLB ERA

The Mets issued the following statement, in regards to Adam Rubin’s report about Tony Bernazard in today’s Daily News:

“We take these reports seriously and are investigating the matter.”

MLB ERA

According to Brian Costa of the Star-Ledger, Minaya will arrive to Nationals Park around 4:30 pm, after which he will speak with reporters and address the allegations against Tony Bernazard.
    David Lennon of Newsday explains why Minaya may be working to keep Bernazard from being fired.

I only have one thing to say: This whole organization is ****ed up.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    What makes him a good baseball guy? He basically reports to Minaya on the Mets minor league system. The AAA and AA teams are a combined 40 something games under .500. He's nothing special based on what I know, and he seems to have a negative impact on many different areas of the organization thanks to his notion that he is more important than he is.
    Shorty, he may not have "people-skills" but he knows baseball. If people want to learn something from him, they need to show him that they are willing to play the game the right way. He did not believe in cutting corners. He played hard and clean and the organization wanted this to rub off. Apparently, it has not.
    If the Mets wish to cut ties with him, that is something unfortunate, but it might be for the best.

MLB ERA

Shorty, he may not have "people-skills" but he knows baseball. If people want to learn something from him, they need to show him that they are willing to play the game the right way. He did not believe in cutting corners. He played hard and clean and the organization wanted this to rub off. Apparently, it has not.

If the Mets wish to cut ties with him, that is something unfortunate, but it might be for the best.
    He definitely has no people skills. He may have played hard and clean, but as a front office member, he's been very dirty. He's undermined 2 managers, and a general manager. He's told minor leaguers to ignore the advice of their coaches, and to come to him instead with any problems. Hell, he told Jerry Manuel the day before Willie was fired that it was going to happen and that he (Manuel) would be named interim manager. Bernazard has been nothing short of an embarrassment in the front office. I have no knowledge of him as a person, but in the role he has right now, he's done very little positive work.

MLB ERA

I would of gotten rid of him. A team does not need a bad influence no matter how how knowledgeable he may be.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

The Mets have cut ties with this guy. It is likely for the best: Mets fire VP who challenged prospects to fight - FOX Sports on MSN
    Perhaps they can move along now. Frankly, I agree that he should have been removed from his position. Loose cannons like these give the game a bad name.