Thread: (If True) Fire Minaya NOW!

MLB ERA

Mets (If True) Fire Minaya NOW!

Jon Heyman of SI.com believes the Mets rejected a deal from the Jays for RHP Roy Halladay, in return for OF Fernando Martinez, Bobby Parnell, Jon Niese and 17–year-old SS Ruben Tejada.

“The Mets responded with a resounding no,” according to Heyman.

Un-****ing-believable. I know it wouldn't do too much next year, but if giving up an injury prone top prospect, a decent relief prospect, a prospect with a ceiling of a 3-4 starter, and a no hit good glove SS prospect(when we already have Reyes) for Halladay for a year and a half is possible, it should have been done already. Imagine Santana and Halladay next year, with the whole offense healthy. That'd be the base of a VERY scary team.

Obviously I'm not completely sold that this trade actually happened, but if it did, Ricciardi should be fired NOW for offering it, and Minaya should be fired NOW for rejecting it. They're both idiots.
    Last edited by ljshorty89; 07-21-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Typo

MLB ERA

Re: (If True) Fire Minaya NOW!

That sounds pretty dumb. I don't know those players in the Mets system but if they are like you say they are than I would of jumped on it.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
    That sounds pretty dumb. I don't know those players in the Mets system but if they are like you say they are than I would of jumped on it.
    The rumor making rounds is that there have been discussions, and that the players listed may have been involved, but that more than likely a HARD offer wasn't made. The thought of most people include:

I wonder if Riccardi leaked this to spook the Phillies, who some baseball insiders feel are the only legitimate suitor for Halladay?

I mean, how better to milk the Phillies for top prospects than for Riccardi to make it seem like the Mets could get Halladay at any moment?

On the other hand, if Halladay-to-Philadelphia is inevitable, how better for Minaya and Riccardi to get the Phillies to overpay then to make it seem like the Mets could easily be involved?

Or, maybe the Mets are trying to raise the value of their own prospects by suggesting Niese, Parnell and Martinez are worth more than Halladay?

Or, perhaps Minaya did reject it, just like Heyman said, and, instead, is still working with Riccardi on something more expansive, which could be why he would not confirm or deny the report when asked about it yesterday?

Who knows? The point is, nothing is ever as simple as it seems, in any case, we’ll find out at some point in the next 10 days, at which point it will be a lot more easier to judge this.
    I mean, I don't expect the Mets to deal for Doc, but if this turns out anything like the Santana deal (bunch of big teams involved, slowly back off, Mets not expected to be heavily involved, suddenly and silently jump in, and score a deal for less than was originally expected, I'll be ecstatic...

Read more: http://www.metsblog.com/2009/07/21/b...ay-mets-rumor/
    Last edited by ljshorty89; 07-21-2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added Link

Rookie ERA

Maybe give them Castillo too and have them throw in Scutaro or do something where we give them a vet for one of their vets that they will try and ship off once they trade Doc. I was happy we rejected this at first, but this could quite possibly the only chance we have of giving away our farm for somebody that will actually help us.

MLB ERA

Supposedly the rumor is untrue and the deal was never on the table. I can't tell who to believe, but it doesn't matter, we're not getting Doc no matter what.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

There's no way that was true, otherwise both Minaya and JP should be fired.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    There's no way that was true, otherwise both Minaya and JP should be fired.
    That was my first reaction too, but Jon Heyman is not only a respected writer, but now that Keith Law is saying that the report is fake, Heyman is continuing to stand by his report. Either his sources suck, or he's just dumb....and like I said, Heyman is pretty respected and reliable...