Thread: Jerry Manuel Watch

MLB ERA

Mets Jerry Manuel Watch

As I'm sure everyone has been speculating for a while, it's very possible that following this incredibly disappointing season that manager Jerry Manuel may not be brought back. 2010 is the last season on his contract, and with the lack of success, it's possible he could be let go at the end of the year.

Earlier in the season, he was rumored to have created tension with GM Omar Minaya by telling reporters that he felt he needed "something or someone to be brought in". He then retracted, and said he felt they had enough in the organization to win(apparently not).

In his latest "foot in mouth" moment, Manuel made a particularly funny joke, but one that apparently bothered the front office:

JERRY'S JOKE KNOCKS DOCS - New York Post

Wonderful. I'm beginning to believe that regardless of how this season ends, Manuel seems to be wearing out his welcome with the front office guys. I'm not sure it'll happen, but if Manuel is let go, I'd love to see Bobby Valentine come back and manage the Mets. Maybe he could find a way to fire the team up...

MLB ERA

Re: Jerry Manuel Watch

Mets' Jerry Manuel and Omar Minaya assured jobs are safe - MLB - SI.com

Mets general manager Omar Minaya and manager Jerry Manuel have been reassured by club higher-ups that their jobs are not in jeopardy, league sources told SI.com. Minaya and Manuel have come under public scrutiny and even attack during the Mets' horrific run, but both men were informed in recent weeks that they shouldn't worry about their positions in conversations with Mets COO Jeff Wilpon.
    I'm hoping this vote of confidence is just for during the season, and not long term. Neither of these guys deserves any vote of confidence past the end of October. But, this is the Mets, so maybe they'll each get contract extensions?

Rookie ERA

Fire Manuel now, he is horrible.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKelly18 View Post
    Fire Manuel now, he is horrible.
    The problem is, who do you bring in to manage? I mean, I don't buy Bobby Valentine coming back, I'm not sure the Wilpons ever liked him. I don't think Jerry is a great manager, but at this point, I don't think going from Willie to Willie's right hand man(Manuel) to Manuel's right hand man(Sandy Alomar Sr) would be just as dumb. I mean, unless they're going to have Gary Carter come in, or Ken Oberkfell gets promoted to MLB manager from AAA, I'm not sure if I can see Manuel leaving DURING the season. After the season, it'll be a different story.

MLB ERA

I find it hard to blame him considering all the injuries the Mets have had to deal with.

Yeah, nobody likes the injury excuse, but there comes a point when you have to give it some consideration.

I think the Mets have reached that point.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I find it hard to blame him considering all the injuries the Mets have had to deal with.

Yeah, nobody likes the injury excuse, but there comes a point when you have to give it some consideration.

I think the Mets have reached that point.
    I agree, the injuries have killed him. But he's also not been a good manager. He has some kind of sacrifice bunt fetish(we bunt 2-3 times a game), he's not great at managing the bullpen, and he has a tendency to be unable to avoid saying the wrong thing to the media. I'm not saying he should definitely be gone, but I'd consider letting him go after the season.

Rookie ERA

I don't care who it is replace him to finish the season I just personally hate the man and want him gone.

MLB ERA

I'd bring Manny Acta in to manage the Mets... he was a former 3rd base coach and he's a better manager than Manuel
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I'd bring Manny Acta in to manage the Mets... he was a former 3rd base coach and he's a better manager than Manuel
    And he is used to managing bad teams.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidKelly18 View Post
    And he is used to managing bad teams.
    He's never shown signs of being a particularly good manager. If anything, I could see them bringing him back as a manager at AAA or something, and then bringing in a stopgap solution as manager. Otherwise, Acta may not even come back.