Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If I were GM...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: If I were GM...

Who and Who?
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

I believe that is his point.
    For every trade like this you have an AJ Pierzynski to the Giants for Bonser, Liriano and Nathan or Knoblauch for Guzman, Milton, Buchannan and another player (whose name escapes me right now). Some trades for prospects work out, others don't. Some work well for one team, some for the other team, and some work well for both teams (Hamilton for Cueto comes to mind here).
    The fact remains that when you trade for prospects, you don't really know how they'll develop and sometimes established players do not do well in their new surroundings.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think a lot of that has to do with advanced scouting as well. If a team is willing to make a trade like that where they are giving up known talent for prospected talent, you'd better hope the advanced scouting reports on the prospects are worth the risk, otherwise you look like a complete Stev...err, jackass.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    Who and Who?
    I'm SO ****ing glad you asked:

Jason Middlebrook: 3 seasons,long reliever/spot starter, career record of 4-4 with a 5.33 ERA, 6.4 K/9, and a 1.53 K/BB. Worse than mediocre...just bad. With the mets, 8 games, 23 innings, 26 hits, 15 ER, a 5.07 ERA, then granted FA.

Steve Reed: 14 seasons, Career middle reliever, Career record of 49-44 with a career ERA of 3.63, 6.5 K/9, and 2.2 K/BB, only 18 career saves....pretty much mediocrity. With the Mets, 24 games, 26 IP, 23 H, 6 ER, 2.08 ERA, then granted FA

Those two for Jason Bay....and we also through in Bobby M Jones, pretty much the same player as Jason Middlebrook.

UGH!

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

-Trade Schneider(expiring contract) and Parnell(plus cash, or a middling prospect if necessary) to the Jays for Alex Rios.
    -Trade Niese, Murph or Evans, and a middling prospect for either Huff, Johnson, or Dunn(My order of preference is Dunn, Huff, Johnson).
    What the hell makes you think those teams will take those crap for their best hitters?

Here's my advice for armchair GM's who flood postgame talk with trade proposals: If you can't name a middling prospect that you want to throw in, it's probably not going to work. Stop it. You sound like jealous ex-girlfriend who lies about having found a new man and struggles to provide sketchy details about the man in between pauses.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    What the hell makes you think those teams will take those crap for their best hitters?

Here's my advice for armchair GM's who flood postgame talk with trade proposals: If you can't name a middling prospect that you want to throw in, it's probably not going to work. Stop it. You sound like jealous ex-girlfriend who lies about having found a new man and struggles to provide sketchy details about the man in between pauses.
    I can name middling prospects, but what are the odds you'd have any clue who I'm talking about. I'll throw in Kirk Niewenhuis, Josh Thole, Mike Antonini, Scott Moviel, Dillon Gee, and/or Jeurys Familia.

Additionally, if you paid ANY attention to the trade market, the Orioles, and the Nats(at least for Nick Johnson) are trying to dump Huff/Johnson. Hence, I gave them a good young pitching prospect(Parnell), a decent hitting prospect(Murphy) and more, for a guy that they are willing to trade for just slightly more than DeRosa cost(just a relief prospect).

As for Rios, I'd probably have to throw in more, but the Blue Jays are BEGGING to dump salary. According to the Toronto Globe and Mail they want to dump Rios or Wells in order to have the $$ to keep Halladay. The writer of the article goes on to say that they will trade Rios for almost anything to anyone willing to take on his whole contract. So, therefore, I sent them an expiring contract for under 5 million, as well as a prospect or two in return for a hitter with a 5 year, 50+ million dollar contract.

So, don't tell me I'm a jealous ex with no clue what I'm talking about. Because you're clearly wrong.

MLB ERA

If it was that easy for Rios, that deal woulda been done awhile ago
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    The article just came out a few days ago, which to me says the Jays decided that they couldn't retain all 3. Plus, I'm sure that many teams are scared of picking up 5 years and 50 million dollars on a player batting just .280 and less power than he has shown in the past.

I understand your point, and it may well take more, but I'd be willing to give up more....excluding a few top echelon prospects.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Nats wanted Manny Delcarmen from the Red Sox for Nick Johnson. Sorry to say it but Bobby Parnell is not Manny Delcarmen. And aren't the Nats already loaded with underachieving young outfielders? Murphy ain't even hitting that well to justify his atrocious defense. I will concede that maybe Parnell and Murphy gets you Aubrey Huff.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    exactly. Rios isn't living up to his contract so far, but he hasn't been Raul Mondesi shitty to make dumping him a no-brainer.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    The Nats wanted Manny Delcarmen from the Red Sox for Nick Johnson. Sorry to say it but Bobby Parnell is not Manny Delcarmen. And aren't the Nats already loaded with underachieving young outfielders? Murphy ain't even hitting that well to justify his atrocious defense. I will concede that maybe Parnell and Murphy gets you Aubrey Huff.
    Murphy is actually a corner IF, who was shoved in LF at the start of the year, and is now playing 1B. I figured you'd know that since he played 1B starting during the series against your Dodgers. So, he would replace Johnson in the field. And even if that only gets the Mets Huff, I'll take it.

Reports actually have said that the Nats are asking for Parnell + Cash for Johnson, and I threw in Murphy to make it happen, but whatever.

And Rios, I've acknowledged I'd have to throw in more, but the point remains the same. For the most part, my trades aren't completely insane. Which, compared to most people, you have to admit, is pretty impressive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12