Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NY Mets News, Notes, and as always- Injuries Thread

MLB ERA

Re: NY Mets "Walking Wounded" Injury Update Thread

Good injury update on Reyes, Delgado, and Maine:

John Maine tossed a 65-pitch, three-inning simulated game Tuesday in Port St. Lucie. He faced Carlos Delgado and Jose Reyes and indicated he felt good. The next step could be a minor-league rehab game.

So, Delgado and Reyes are both able to hit live pitching, and both seem to be progressing well in their rehab. Maine is at 65 pitches in a simulated game. Perhaps they could all be back within a couple weeks, which would be a major boost for this team.

MLB ERA

David Lennon of Newsday says Sheffield could end up on the disabled list if he does not improve by Friday.

Figures. Let's just place the entire organization on the DL...

Let's see:

Omar Minaya: Career Ending Injury(Broken Brain)
    Jerry Manuel: Out for Season(Got cut by his own blade)
    David Wright and Johan Santana: Out for Season(Fatigued Spine from carrying entire team on their backs)
    Alex Cora: Well, he actually has a torn tendon in his thumb
    K-Rod: Out for Season(Torn rotator cuff from celebrating a save over the Nationals)

...add more (I will as well) as you think of some funny ones, because at this rate, they may happen.

MLB ERA

The Mets announced Gary Sheffield has been put on the 15–day disabled list with a strained hamstring, to make room for Niese.

MLB ERA

*Carlos Beltran took batting practice in the indoor cage, while wearing a brace on his injured right knee.

According to Beltran, though his recent MRI indicated the bone bruise in his knee has not improved, he has been hitting with the brace for more than a week, and he hopes to return in two to three weeks.

Beltran told reporters, speaking from his locker before yesterday’s rainout: “The big test will be running outside… Being pain-free is unrealistic right now. Being able to come back 100 percent is not going to happen… 85 percent, I’ll take that. I feel I can manage myself like that. That is fine with me… Hopefully I can get back soon… The bruise is still there, but I feel better.”

MLB ERA

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=nym

By 7:10 p.m. ET, [the Mets] are likely to know more about the problematic right shoulder of John Maine. Assigned to the disabled list since June 7, Maine is to be examined today in Birmingham, Ala., by noted sports surgeon Dr. James Andrews.

The expectation isn't filled with optimism. The Mets no longer think of Maine in terms of this season, and two people in the organization said recently they have heard the club's private sense of the effect of the pinched nerve in his shoulder may be that he never will pitch again without pain, some of it acute.

A person familiar with the club's reports on Maine acknowledged Tuesday that the pitcher has days of no pain and other instances when he cannot throw. "He's very frustrated because he feels like he's making progress, and then it hurts again," he said.
    That all sounds pretty bad. I hope Maine is ok, and will eventually be able to come back, but at this point I guess I can't expect it anymore.

MLB ERA

Schneider's knee is apparently hurting....According to Brian Costa of the Newark Star Ledger, the Mets have DFA'd Elmer Dessens. They will also call up Robinson Cancel for catching depth.

Just what the Mets need, ANOTHER injury. Can't believe this anymore. Hopefully it's just minor soreness and not something that will require a DL stint.

MLB ERA

Maine's diagnosis echoed by Dr. Andrews | mets.com: News

Maine got the results of his visit to Dr James Andrews yesterday, and apparently there's no structural damage. It's just a weak shoulder, and he should be able to return before the end of the season. The story is that he was told he could come back too quickly from last offseason's shoulder surgery.

Hopefully he can get back by mid-August and be decent...

MLB ERA

Gary Sheffield is activated from the DL for the game today. He will not start, but just having him on the bench is a better option than Angel Berroa or Robinson Cancel...

Rookie ERA

Are we still looking at about 2 weeks for Reyes and Beltran?

MLB ERA

Latest reports are saying Beltran expects to be back in 2 weeks. Reyes is more unsure, probably in the 3 week range.

Wagner's rehab schedule says he should (somehow) be back in 2-3 weeks, Putz is right behind him (3-4 weeks from now).

Delgado still sounds like middle of August.

Maine.....well, honestly, I don't expect him to be back, and if he proves me wrong, good for him.

MLB ERA

Luis Castillo injured himself walking down the dugout steps Tuesday.
    The Mets are calling it a "sprained left ankle." Is it time for "curse" talk to begin? The Metropolitans have lost a barrel of stars this year to injury, and those stars have had numerous setbacks. It's not clear yet if Castillo's injury will land him on the DL, but the lack of luck is astonishing.
    Un-****ING-believable. He slipped going down the dugout steps (allegedly avoiding a glove left on the steps), and sprained his ankle. Unbelievable.

MLB ERA

According to Kevin Burkhardt of SportsNet New York, Jose Reyes (hamstring) returned to New York on Tuesday to have his right leg injury examined by a team doctor.
    As Burkhardt notes, this could mean his season is over. It's just as well, anyway, since he has had starts and stops with his rehab dating back to June. With the Mets currently 10 games out of the National League East and eight games back in the Wild Card, why even take the chance?
    I kinda agree with this. I'd rather him take the rest of the year, get to 100%, and come back for next year. If we lose today, I will officially be calling the season done, so, Reyes has no reason to push to come back anytime soon.

MLB ERA

The Mets are saying Castillo had an X-Ray on his ankle, which came back negative, that he has a mild ankle sprain, and that he'll miss only a few days.

Using my Mets medical staff to English translator, this means that his MRI came back with BAD NEWS, that his ankle is actually broken in like 5 places, and he will be forced to retire.

Hopefully I made some errors in translation, but I just don't expect anyone to come back and play for this team anymore.

Rookie ERA

I'm saying don't let anybody back. Go ahead and let Wagner back, but thats it.

MLB ERA

Jon Niese has a complete tear of the right upper hamstring tendon from the bone. He has been admitted to the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York and will undergo surgery.
    Niese will miss the rest of the season and is expected to be ready for Spring Training in 2010.
    According to a team press release, “Jose Reyes has scar tissue and inflammation behind the right knee, related to the hamstring tendon injury, which has caused continued pain.” Reyes will continue physical therapy in hopes of breaking up the scar tissue and reduce the inflammation.
    Just shut Reyes down, shut Beltran down, shut Maine down, and come back for 2010. This injury situation is just absurd.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast