Thread: My First Trip to Citi Field

MLB ERA

Mets My First Trip to Citi Field

Alright, so I've actually been to Citi Field already, but we got there only 5 minutes before first pitch, and my seats were basically under the stands, directly behind the fence in RF, so I was pretty much cut off from everything. Tonight will be my first game in my regular seats, and I am VERY excited. I plan to post a review of the stadium when I get home tonight(depending on my mood), and hopefully post whatever pictures I take either here, on my facebook(which a bunch of you have), or both.

MLB ERA

Re: My First Trip to Citi Field

Alright, so tonight was my first "real" game at Citi Field, and I figured that I'd give a review of the new stadium to anyone who was interested here on the forums.

Food: A+
    By far one of the best aspects of the stadium, and the starkest improvement from Shea Stadium. Between Shake Shack and Blue Smoke, Citi incorporates two popular restaurants from the NYC area, and both bring AMAZING food and drinks(alcoholic and non), and are immensely popular. Even the Cascarino's Pizza is improved from Shea, and the food is just exceptional. (PS: At Blue Smoke, try the Kansas City Style Ribs, or the Smoked Chipotle Buffalo Wings)

Entertainment: B+
    For younger kids, there is a T-Ball field, a dunk tank, and a place to play MLB 2K9. While the main entertainment (thankfully) is still the ball game, there is a lot to do and to check out, or to entertain those who may not be big baseball fans.

Appearance: A
    First off, I absolutely LOVE the rotunda. I understand the argument that Jackie Robinson had nothing to do with the franchise, and shouldn't be the face of the stadium, but I like it. Between the giant #42 statue, and the quotes and values all over the rotunda are nice. It was very well done, and I think any baseball fan (or fan of nice architecture) will appreciate the beauty of the structure.

Seating: B+

The seats are bigger, wider, and there's more leg room. Every seat is angled towards the playing field, instead of facing straight ahead. The layout is wonderful, I love the look of the Pepsi Porch in right field, as well as the Acela Club restaurant in Left Field.

Video Boards: B

While the video screens are huge, HD, and all around nice, they are placed in a difficult position for anyone sitting on the base lines. These spectators may need to turn themselves just to see the scoreboards. However, they display every kind of information a person could want, from BA and HR to SLG and OBP. Additionally, I will say, the definition of the screens is nicer than I could have imagined.

Overall: B+/A-

While the scoreboards are placed in an awkward spot, and the old Pennants and old Home Run Apple are placed in a difficult spot by the outfield gate, the stadium as a whole is excellent. I loved every minute I was there. The bridge in right center field is a wonderful symbol of NY and all of it's bridges. I also love the fact that they were able to bring the old Skyline Sign as well as the old Apple to the new stadium. The tradition isn't fully there, as a Mets museum is being planned in the outfield, and the fans haven't quite gotten used to it to the point that they will stay in their seats and yell as loud as they did at Shea, but I think this stadium is the nicest I've ever been in, and will definitely be an AMAZIN' place to spend my summers for years to come.