Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delgado to Miss Several Months

MLB ERA

Mets Delgado to Miss Several Months

Carlos Delgado is the 3rd player to need this surgery in the last 8 months. What's up with that? Here is a story: Delgado to undergo hip surgery | MLB.com: News
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Delgado to Miss Several Months

Delgado is no youngin anymore and this with definitely limit his play when he comes back. I wonder how long they will keep Reed at first and who will be the long term replacement for Carlos.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Looks like ten weeks for Delgado and the Mets are already looking for replacements. Nick Johnson's name has been brought up.

MLB ERA

I don't expect them to get a full time replacement. With Tatis and Murphy, they can probably get by, and while a guy like Johnson or Helton would be nice, there wouldn't be as much playing time for other guys.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Getting by isn't going to win the East.

MLB ERA

"Getting by" does not mean being average, it means Getting by in the context you are in. With Murphy at 1B, and guys like Tatis, Reed, Pagan, Sheffield in LF, we'll be more than fine. I think it's stupid to bring in a guy like Johnson who will only create a bigger logjam when Delgado comes back (not to mention that Johnson won't come cheap.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think its a smart move to bring in Johnson. Delgado is no lock to come back the same player. Johnson is better than the men involved in the "logjam"

MLB ERA

Not necessarily. Johnson has only played 3 full seasons. Ever. He's not much more of a lock to be healthy, and he will cost something VALUABLE, like F-Mart, Jon Niese, Bobby Parnell, or something that he's NOT WORTH. I disagree.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is worth more than "getting by". Mets are also looking at Huff.

MLB ERA

But he's not worth top prospects. And that's what the Nationals will want. I'd rather keep Parnell, Niese, and Martinez, and go with Murphy at 1B, rather than trade the future for Nick "Broken Femur" Johnson.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

HAHA Nationals are asking for salary relief and middle tier pitching, mainly relief. Johnson is a half year rental. Mets don't have good prospects anyway. Its worth actually winning a NL East title.

MLB ERA

I'm not going to bother arguing with you. The Mets have a farm system in the middle of the pack. They have plenty of young kids that teams have interest in. They have F-Mart who's a top 20 prospect, they have Niese, Parnell, and guys like Dillon Gee and others who aren't high profile prospects, but they have value.

The Nationals aren't going to give Johnson away.

MLB ERA

As I can attest from Mike Lowell no way he's ready to produce fully in 10 weeks. Also I don't think Nick Johnson is worth more than a 4.0 spec (using my OOTP equivalence here)
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

As one can attest from A-Rod, maybe he will. Everyone is different, and you're right, I don't know if Delgado will be able to produce, but if you put him on the bench, he definitely won't produce.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    I'm not going to bother arguing with you. The Mets have a farm system in the middle of the pack. They have plenty of young kids that teams have interest in. They have F-Mart who's a top 20 prospect, they have Niese, Parnell, and guys like Dillon Gee and others who aren't high profile prospects, but they have value.

The Nationals aren't going to give Johnson away.
    Glad to see you aren't arguing the obvious. Middle of the pack is right and middle of the pack prospects is what you have. The Giants organization is saying Johnson can be had for taking on salary and a middle tier pitching prospect. How is that giving up the future? A prospect having value and a top prospect aren't even close to be the same thing. Johnson's contract is done after the season and the Nats know this. Johnson>any platoon the Mets scrounge together. Worth it and as cjkalt points out, Delgado will be gone longer than 10 weeks. Johnson is not the only player the Mets are looking at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast