Thread: Sheff's 500th HR and a Mets Victory 4/17

Mets Sheff's 500th HR and a Mets Victory 4/17

I caught the end of the game and it was quite an exciting one. It was tied up in the bottom of the 9th when Carlos Delgado hit a lead off double. Carlos Beltran then struck out and Ryan Church was intentionally walked to face Omir Santos. It was Omir's first AB with the Mets and there was a ton of pressure with the game on the line. He ended up with a slow grounder to short that moved the runners over to 2nd and 3rd. Now there were two outs with Luis Castillo at bat. He ripped a hard ground ball to the left side of the infield and JJ Hardy made a pretty solid effort at it. If it had been any other batter I think we would have had a web gem on our hand, but instead Castillo ended up with a walk off infield single.

Tonight was also the night Gary Sheffield connected for his 500th HR that was rocketed to the left field on the 9th pitch of his AB. Despite some controversial comments with the Yankees, I am glad to see Sheff accomplish this. He was the 25th guy to reach this milestone (maybe 26th - not sure exactly what they said). Congrats to him.

Big win by the Mets. The first come from behind win of the season and the first walk of rbi in the new Citi Field.

MLB ERA

Re: Sheff's 500th HR and a Mets Victory 4/17

Great game. The pitching was pretty good from Livan, the hitting was ok, but finally came through with RISP, the fielding was better, and the bullpen was excellent. It's shocking for me to say this....but Luis Castillo is looking spectacular so far(admittedly it's early in the season). Excellent game, congrats to Sheff, and the whole team. I wonder if any other player has ever hit his 500th HR to tie a game in the 7th. Pretty special way to do it. It was also the first time a player hit his 500th with the Mets, and the first time anyone has ever hit their 500th as their 1st with a new team...

PS: Bwitty, I hope you don't mind me editing your post. The backup catcher in question is OMIR Santos, not Victor.

Re: Sheff's 500th HR and a Mets Victory 4/17

No problem at all.