Thread: Mets closing in on Gary Sheffield

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rumor Mets closing in on Gary Sheffield

Per MLBTradeRumors.com:
    Mets Close To Signing Gary Sheffield
    By Tim Dierkes [April 3 at 12:08pm CST]
    12:08pm: Sherman adds that Mets GM Omar Minaya spoke to Sheffield directly recently to explain how he'd fit with the team. Meanwhile, several Phillies players have contacted Sheffield to lobby him to sign.

11:23am: According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Mets are close to signing Gary Sheffield. The Mets plan to give him significant playing time. They'd only have to pay $400K and would consider Sheffield an option in both outfield corners. Sherman's source said:

"Unless something drastic happens, he is a Met. Someone would have to offer him a second year, and I just don't see that happening."

David Lennon of Newsday believes Sheffield could sign with the Mets as soon as tonight.
    I really wonder why no AL team is interested in Sheff. Only the Mets, Reds and Phillies have been mentioned anywhere and I am sure the potential to DH him and reduce whatever liability his fielding would bring would be attractive to an AL club.

MLB ERA

Re: Mets closing in on Gary Sheffield

I think Sheff could be a solid role player, if he accepts his role. It's going to be a cheap contract, and having his bat is nice, so I kinda like the move, as long as he doesn't cause problems.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I wonder why no MLB team is interested in Sheff.
    Because the AL is smart, apparently.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Why did you change it from AL to MLB brown?

Sheff for the cost he'll come at, an easy financial release if he is a clubhouse cancer or simply can't hit, isn't a bad gamble. Just toss him out if he doesn't stack up.

MLB ERA

I agree Mission. There's no risk. If he acts out, or if he doesn't preform, he gets cut, only costing a team 400k. It's an low risk, high reward deal.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's going to be kind of sad to see Sheff hit #500 in GAB, just against the Reds. Not that the event would have held any significance for the Reds, but it'll just be a cruel reminder of the lineup construction Reds fans will witness this year (barring miracles like the young guys coming into their power and serious production sooner than expected.)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sheff and Murphy in LF, two defensive liabilities. Wonderful!

MLB ERA

He would be a better fit in the AL but I guess no one wanted him. I remember when he was a Brave. I'm sure his retirement is coming soon. He just wants to get #500 out of the way first.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

He won't play the first series, unless it's just as a PH. Manuel said he won't start until he proves he's ready....likely not until after the first 6 game roadtrip.