Thread: Out With The Old, In With The New

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mets Out With The Old, In With The New

The New York Daily News reports that Livan Hernandez "is on the verge of claiming the No. 5 spot in the rotation."
    The newspaper speculates that the Mets may end up releasing Freddy Garcia, who entered camp ahead of Hernandez on the depth chart. "He has a good presence about him on the mound, in the dugout," manager Jerry Manuel said. "It's like he brings a different energy for us. I would have to say he's put himself in a real good position." Hernandez's energy produced a 6.05 ERA in 31 starts last season and the 34-year-old hasn't had an ERA below 4.75 since 2005.
    The Mets get rid of El Dueque and now it looks like his younger brother will win the #5 spot. Not really sure if this new park is a pitcher's park but I am guessing it will be so that could help a lot. One thing is for sure, the Mets will have trouble with the back end of that rotation.

MLB ERA

Re: Out With The Old, In With The New

Livan has looked pretty good in Spring Training and should be fine. Citi is said to be a HUGE park, so with Santana, Maine, Pelfrey, and Perez, the front 4 will be more than sufficient, and Livan, Niese, Redding will be solid as the 5, resulting in a solid pitching staff, a solid offense, and solid bullpen, and hopefully a playoff appearance.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Redding is a huge question mark.

MLB ERA

Well, if everything works out he will be a long man, a role that he will be fine for. It's not like we need him to be an ace...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Has to be able to throw first.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Livan Hernandez sucks.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hernandez is not a guy you want your team to depend on at this point but Colorado and him was just not a fit last season. He has actually improved his G/F and if the new Mets stadium is pitching friendly, he should be a really serviceable back of the rotation guy. He posted a 4.26 ERA in about 80 innings in the Metrodome last season last I heard, he was looking pretty good in spring training and if Citi is as big as lj thinks, I wouldn't be shocked if he posts a 4.75 ERA.

Could have some trouble against the Phillies though, especially in their park...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Don't forget the Marlins offense.

MLB ERA

When I read the title thread, I thought you were going to tell me they reversed the Zambrano-Kazmir trade... otherwise this is just insert old guy in the 5 spot then overpay for a slightly better 5 starter at the deadline then regret it 4 months later
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Hernandez is not a guy you want your team to depend on at this point but Colorado and him was just not a fit last season. He has actually improved his G/F and if the new Mets stadium is pitching friendly, he should be a really serviceable back of the rotation guy. He posted a 4.26 ERA in about 80 innings in the Metrodome last season last I heard, he was looking pretty good in spring training and if Citi is as big as lj thinks, I wouldn't be shocked if he posts a 4.75 ERA.

Could have some trouble against the Phillies though, especially in their park...
    I agree mostly with what you're saying. According to multiple reports(which I will try to find and post later), Citi is going to be a freaking CANYON, with gaps like Old Yankee Stadium's Death Valley. According to one graph, Each starting pitcher would have given up 1-4 fewer HR if the dimensions were Citi's instead of Shea's last year. I think Livan can be a decent innings eater at the back of the rotation, and that's all we need.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Don't forget the Marlins offense.
    When it comes to the Phillies and their little league field, everyone has some problems. It's hard to keep the ball within the dimensions of Coors Field 2.0. The Marlins are also a good offensive team, but they play in a pitcher's park too. But really, Hernandez isn't a star, he's not dominant, but if he can give us like a 4.75 ERA, maybe 10 wins, and 180+ IP, I'll take that out of my 5 starter.

MLB ERA

Citi Field: Where Homeruns Go To Die - Amazin' Avenue

The Starters And Citi Field - Amazin' Avenue

Check those articles out, it appears that Citi will not only have relatively similar distances to all fields, but the wall will also be higher than it was at Shea. Interesting articles that try to predict how the park will play.