Thread: Do Mets Have Interest in Manny?

MLB ERA

Rumor Do Mets Have Interest in Manny?

MetsBlog.com » Outfield: The Manny Mill, per WFAN

The last day or so, several people have e-mailed me saying WFAN’s Tony Paige mentioned the Mets had interest in Manny Ramirez, while on a recent overnight broadcast for the New York sports radio station.
    I did not hear his statements first hand.

However, Paige told me in an e-mail, “All I said was, someone, who deals with Mets management (and he’s credible), told me the Mets were interested in Manny Ramirez and something may happen this week.”

Paige added, “I didn’t say they were going to sign him,’ simply stating that the two sides could end up speaking soon.
    Intriguing. Is it possible that after all this the Mets could actually have interest enough to get involved? Also, is it possible that Manny could have mentioned to Boras he'd prefer to be a Met, or at least go home to NY? I mean, its feasible that Manny has been waiting(he did turn down the first offer) in order to get an offer from the Mets, hoping he could return to his roots in NY.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Do Mets Have Interest in Manny?

Mets don't have the money especially after this Perez deal. The Mets are done this offseason aside from the occasional one year deal under $1 million on role players.

MLB ERA

I'm not sure. They say they're done, but they're still basically at last year's payroll after the Perez signing, they COULD add Manny, depending on what Wilpon wants to do.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I read Buster Olney's chat yesterday and he said Met officials say they are tapped out after the Perez deal. Only enough for a few veterans on low cost salaries.

MLB ERA

I heard a couple interviews, and I don't think that they're tapped out. It sounds to me like they don't see hitting as enough of a need to warrant the spending. Minaya said that the goals they set for the offseason were met, meaning if he had thought originally that a LF was a big need, they would have spent. It just sounds like they don't think they need any more hitters.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sources familiar with the Mets thinking say the final items on their agenda are small: low-cost options for a righty hitter off the bench (think free agent Rich Aurilia) and lefty reliever (think free agent Joe Beimel).
    This is what they are looking at. Mets can't spend another $20 million in the current market nor should they. Low cost role players is all they can get now.

MLB ERA

Alright, that's worded differently from everything I've seen. I think the thing is that if they felt it was important enough, they would find the cash. Obviously a power hitter just isn't a dire need to them