Thread: Mets sign Mackowiak

MLB ERA

Free Agent Mets sign Mackowiak

Hardball

The mets are just adding to their depth, with mediocre hitters, good fielders, and all on cheap minor league deals. I think this is a pretty indifferent move. But I guess it can't hurt to have an extra veteran fighting for a spot as a bench player on a team who's former weakness was depth.

MLB ERA

Re: Mets sign Mackowiak

3-4 years ago, this would have been an excellent signing. Now, he's just a roster filler, possibly a AAA roster filler.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I dunno about that, he is still a decent player, every team needs a few of those "every position" guys. He had a bad offensive year, but says he's healthy after surgery(I think it was for a hernia), so maybe he rebounds? Either way, it's a minor league deal, low risk, possible good reward.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I cannot believe the Mets never got a real solution for LF. They have gotten a lot of bench type players to platoon in LF but no real LFer. I don't expect Tatis to repeat because nothing in his career has shown he can. Murphy is a wonderful hitter but no real position. Plus Church is a risk because of his concussion syndrome.

MLB ERA

I disagree on Church. There's no sign of a chronic PCS here, and all signs and doctors say he should be fine, obviously assuming he doesn't suffer another concussion.

I think that they should be fine in LF with the platoon, because the LF will end up hitting 7th, so we won't need a huge bat. I mean, I'd love a guy like Dunn, Abreu, Manny, or whoever, but I don't see it happening. I don't think they will completely ignore these guys, but unless one of them is willing to take like 1 year, and 7-8 million dollars, the Mets will not get them signed.

Also, is it possible that their unwillingness to overspend on an LF means they're more confident(possibly too confident) in the ability of (At first Murphy and Evans), but later on in the season, Fernando Martinez to be healthy, ready, and capable?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am looking at it from Minaya's point of view. My team has just collapsed two years in a row in September and the rival Phillies are defending champions. (I know how you feel about the collapse part ljshorty and not trying to start anything up again) Do I really want to pin my hopes on Tatis repeating and Murphy suddenly getting a lot better in LF with Martinez being ready in the second half? Or would I rather have Abreu for a year solidifying the position and getting a .300/.400/.500 batting line with 20 HR and 100 RBI potential?

I hope Church comes back 100% but you never know. Jim Edmonds came back but only after a very slow start and trade last year. Matheny and Koskie never came back. Its always a risk with the type of player Church is and that's balls out!

MLB ERA

I agree with you completely, like, I would love them to find a LF to take the place of those guys, but I don't know if it can happen by the time the season starts. It'd be nice, but they want to sign a SP first and we don't know if there'll be enough $$ left after signing Perez or whoever. We'll have to wait and see, but I HOPE we get an LF too....