Thread: Mets Deep In Talks For Lowe

MLB ERA

Free Agent Mets Deep In Talks For Lowe

Mets deep in negotiations for Derek Lowe - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

According to Gordon Edes, the NY Mets are deep in talks for Derek Lowe. No offer has been made, and the Red Sox may still get involved, but this is exactly what the Mets need to be doing. If the Mets can land lowe for 3-4 years at about 15 million per year to solidify their staff, I think this would be an excellent move.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Mets Deep In Talks For Lowe

Mets have got to do something and Lowe staying in the NL is whats best for him.

MLB ERA

If we can land Lowe as a 3 or 4 starter(depending on where we slot Maine and Pelfrey), and Redding for like 2 million dollars to compete with Niese for the 5th spot, that would be a solid staff. If they get someone like Wolf of Perez instead of Redding, that'd be a damn good staff.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If Lowe is signed, he would be the #2 guy or at least he should be.

MLB ERA

Honestly, starter number means nothing to me. Santana, Lowe, Pelfrey, Maine, Perez/Wolf/Redding would be a solid rotation regardless of what order you put them in.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Salary matters when it comes to these things.

MLB ERA

Like I said, I don't really care, because after the first trip through, it all switches up based on off days and extra rest. But I'm sure all parties would be fine with Lowe 2, and Maine/Pelfrey 3 and 4 in whatever order. Can't doubt a veteran like Lowe being placed about a younger guy, and I'm sure they'd accept that.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Derek Lowe closing in on deal with Mets - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

According to a baseball source, The New York Mets appear to be closing in on a deal for free-agent pitcher Derek Lowe.

The deal is believed to be four years in length, or three years with a vesting option. The contract is estimated to be worth between $14-16 million per season. Lowe just finished up a four year deal, $36 million deal with the Dodgers.
    lower than what he wanted (supposedly) at the start of FA. I had read he wanted a 4 year / $90 mil deal This would be about a 4 year / $60 mil deal. I'm still surprised to see him get that much, but I guess the Mets had to do something. I doubt anyone else would have come close to that offer though.

MLB ERA

I don't know man, he's a guaranteed 200 innings, and he's gonna give you a low 3 ERA. Last year, his ERA was 3.24 I believe. He's a groundball pitcher, which most NL teams love, and he's a solid veteran presence. Why wouldn't he make 15 million a year. The only question is whether the Mets will give a guaranteed 3 or 4 years to Lowe. The Red Sox only want to guarantee 3. But I also don't think they're offering an option.