Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamels calls Mets Choke Artists

MLB ERA

Mets Hamels calls Mets Choke Artists

ESPN - Cole Hamels labels New York Mets as chokers

I"m getting tired of the verbal assault both ways. It's stupid. I know the Phillies have right to talk trash because they just won a World Series, but I don't understand why Hamels felt the need to say something like this. Darryl Strawberry was quoted as saying that if someone had said this about the Mets in the '80's....they would have beating the **** out of them. I don't expect that, but I hope Hamels realizes that this year's Mets team will hopefully be motivated by failure and come out stronger and madder than ever.

PS: Cole Hamels vs the Mets:

2008: 0-2, 12 IP, 6.00 ERA, 17 H, 10 R(8 ER), 2 HR, 4 BB, 10 K
    2007: 0-1, 18 IP, 4.00 ERA, 21 H, 9 R(8 ER), 5 HR, 9 BB, 17 K
    Career: 1-3, 38 IP, 3.79 ERA, 42 H, 19 R(16 ER), 7 HR, 13 BB, 36 K

When it comes to the Mets, he hasn't had the greatest numbers, and his career stats against the Mets are only made respectable by his 1 good start against us in 2006. In the past two years, he's been mediocre against us. Cole....you better watch out.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Hamels calls Mets Choke Artists

The Mets don't need anymore motivation and if they do, something is terribly wrong. Hamels expressed himself truthfully after being asked a series of questions about Jose Reyes. Hamels thought Reyes was a showboat and even went on to say that the Phillies got onto Shane Victorino for doing the same shit. Are the Mets chokers? Hard to say no after the past two years.

MLB ERA

I understand the situation, and like I said, he can say whatever he wants as a World Champ. I just think that it's a dumb thing to say. He wasn't just responding, he used to phrase 4 times in 2 sentences. He was prompted, but he ran with it more than he should.

And they got on Shane Victorino? Is that why in September he would score a run, jump up and down on home plate and point into the Mets dugout? I'm tired of people *****ing about Reyes, focus on your own damn team. If you don't like him jumping and high fiving people then ****ing get him out.

I would say in 2007 they were chokers. Last year....I'm not so sure. I mean, yes, we had a lead and blew it. But we had no closer, we had Church hurt, and our lead was at it's highest only 3.5 games. I don't think we choked, I think we were just not as good as the Phillies in 2008.

MLB ERA

1. Cole is 100 feet tall.
    2. Sal Fasano is afraid of Cole Hamels.
    3. Hamels is a sure thing. Only some sort of freak injury or something could keep him from saving the franchise. And we know that will never happen.
    4. Cole K's men by the hundreds. And if HE were in the MAJORS (read: when he's in the majors), he'd consume the METS with fireballs from his eyes,and bolts of lightning from his arse. (editor's note: 8/14/2006 v NYM: 8 IP, 0 R, 9 K)
    5. Cole Hamels outpitched Steve Carlton before he was even born.
    6. Pedro Martinez keeps a picture of Cole Hamels under his hat for inspiration.
    7. If Cole Hamels wanted to he could steal your girl and, because he's so great, you'd want to watch him take care of business with her. He wouldn't do such things though, because he's Cole Hamels.
    8. Jack Bauer calls Cole Hamels for advice.
    9. Cole Hamels is the only person Barbara Bush fears.
    10. Fear itself is afraid of Cole Hamels.
    11. For Halloween, Chuck Norris went as Cole Hamels.
    12. When kids go to bed they wear Superman pajamas; when Superman goes to bed he wears a Cole Hamels jersey.
    13. The chief export of Cole Hamels is K's.
    14. When Cole Hamels passes "Go", he collects $400.
    15. Cole Hamels punches people so hard he breaks his own hand.
    16. Cole is so handsome that he dates a Playboy cover girl.
    17. Cole's poop is used as currency in Clearwater.
    18. Not only does Cole watch movies with Gladiators, he stars in them.
    19. One time Cole Hamels spent 40 days in the desert. To survive, he ate whole camels.
    20. Cole Hamels' picture is on every crisp 100 dollar bill.
    21. Cole has never had a date, because everyone strikesout with him.
    22. Santa Claus asks for Cole in his stockings.
    23. Cole Hamels once pegged a batter so hard that the batter's twin brother died. He then ate their corpses, pooped them out and struck that out too.
    24. Cole Hamels can understand every word joboggi writes.
    25. God says "Cole Hamels darn it!".
    26. My wife yells out Cole Hamels's name in bed (and half the time he isn't there).
    27. Cole doesn't need to be in the same room to sleep with your wife.
    28. Cole Hamels is so great that he makes suicide commit life.
    29. Cole Hamels expected the Spanish Inquisition.
    30. On his off days, Cole Hamels kicks Chuck Norris' ass and then sleeps with Chuck's woman. When she regains her strength (on Cole's' scheduled start days), she kicks Chuck's ass.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    I understand the situation, and like I said, he can say whatever he wants as a World Champ. I just think that it's a dumb thing to say. He wasn't just responding, he used to phrase 4 times in 2 sentences. He was prompted, but he ran with it more than he should.

And they got on Shane Victorino? Is that why in September he would score a run, jump up and down on home plate and point into the Mets dugout? I'm tired of people *****ing about Reyes, focus on your own damn team. If you don't like him jumping and high fiving people then ****ing get him out.

I would say in 2007 they were chokers. Last year....I'm not so sure. I mean, yes, we had a lead and blew it. But we had no closer, we had Church hurt, and our lead was at it's highest only 3.5 games. I don't think we choked, I think we were just not as good as the Phillies in 2008.
    Yes, they got onto Victorino as Hamels says in the interview. This is no different that Rollins calling out the Mets saying the Phillies will win the East. The Mets have choked two years in a row and if they want people to shut up about it, they have to win!! It enhances the rivalry and hopefully will take attention away from the Sox/Yanks.

MLB ERA

See, that's the thing, I'm not sure I call last year a choke. Yes, we lost a division lead in September, but it was a 3 game lead with 20+ games to go. That's not a choke, it's just a blown lead. There is a difference.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Call it what you will, it wasn't pretty. Mets had the division lead for a long, long time and up to Sept. 15 had the lead.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A war of wars is what will make this series so much better.
    All we need now is Johan saying that the Phillies got lucky.

MLB ERA

There are lots of other examples of this in sports, one being the Steelers in 01' meeting with the NFL to go over Super Bowl arrangements before they played the Pats in the 2001 AFC Championship game. We all know how that turned out for them so hopefully the same thing happens to Hamels and the Phillies

I also really want CC to talk smack about the Red Sox, after your 2007 ALCS performance vs us I really hope he opens his mouth.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Call it what you will, it wasn't pretty. Mets had the division lead for a long, long time and up to Sept. 15 had the lead.

Not true. The Mets had the lead until mid-september, however we only spent 39 days the entire season in first place. We were NOT in the lead much at all.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You're right. I got 07 and 08 confused. They still had the lead on September 19th and didn't win games they should have. With two September collapses, you can;t blame him for calling the Mets chokers. Can't blame anyone.

MLB ERA

I agree they should have won the division, however in 2008, the Mets just weren't as good as the standings on Sept. 19 said they were. They were not good enough. I don't think they choked.

MLB ERA

The Cubs overshaddowed the Mets in the choking department this year.

MLB ERA

I would say neither team choked. The Cubs just sucked come playoff time, and the Mets just flat out were not a good enough team to win the division this year. It pains me to say that, and it sucks, because we did have a division lead late in the season....but we just were not that good. We could not expect to win a division with Maine and Wagner hurt, with Tatis and Murphy platooning in leftfield, with Luis Castillo....existing, with the bullpen pitching as if they were blindfolded and paralyzed, and with Church missing the majority of the season. The depth wasn't there, and we paid for it.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    I would say neither team choked. The Cubs just sucked come playoff time,
    Where I come from they call that choking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast