Thread: Livan competing for rotation spot

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pitching Livan competing for rotation spot

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Livan Hernandez and the New York Mets agreed to a minor league contract Saturday, giving the team another pitcher who could compete for the final rotation spot during spring training.

With the move, Mets general manager Omar Minaya all but ruled out bringing back Pedro Martinez, a free agent coming off four injury-plagued seasons in New York. Martinez plans to pitch in the World Baseball Classic next month, hoping he can showcase his stuff before picking a big league offer.

"I think we are pretty much set and we're going to go forward with the guys that we have," Minaya said.

Hernandez was 13-11 with a 6.05 ERA in 31 combined starts for Minnesota and Colorado last season, his 13th in the major leagues. The durable right-hander has long been a favorite of Minaya, who traded for Hernandez when he was running the Montreal Expos.
    New York Mets, Livan Hernandez agree to deal - ESPN

Hyuk. That could be more fun than Luis Ayala closing last year, if he somehow made the team.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Livan competing for rotation spot

Lose Orlando, gain Livan.

MLB ERA

Livan pitched well at times last season, and very poorly at other times. His signing, especially to a minor-league deal, is not a bad idea.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

He's competing for the 5th starter spot with 3 other capable pitchers. If he wins the spot, that means he showed considerable ability, and his making the team would NOT be a joke...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

At least until he's posting a 6 plus era, then we're all enjoying the Livan show.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

He won't last if he has a 6 ERA. That's the freaking point! If he struggles, they use Niese, Garcia, or Redding.