Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2008-2009 Offseason Thread

MLB ERA

Re: 2008-2009 Offseason Thread

Agreed, but they could go for Randy Wolf, who's not as good as Lowe, and still keep Blanton, so that they would have a solid rotation for the next 5 years instead of 2 to 3.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Five years? Who the hell would give Wolf a five year contract? Plus Blanton will be a free agent in 2011. Why not give Lowe the three year deal and trade Blanton? Phillies could move payroll to make room for a guy like Lowe. Of course the Mets need Lowe more but if the Phillies want to repeat, they need Lowe.

MLB ERA

Lowe has said he won't take a straight 3 year deal unless there's a 4th year option. I was thinking give Wolf a 3 year deal, keep Blanton, and then in 5 years, you have a rotation of Hamels, Blanton, Carlos Carrasco, Maybe Myers if he's still around, and then Outman/Kendrick/Happ etc. Better off that way and bringing in a cheaper option for 2 or 3 years...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Blanton is a free agent after the 2010 season. Lowe would be a free agent after the 2011 season. Lowe can have his option for a 4th year but no team has to give it to him. The only way the Phillies would be better off is if Lowe is in the rotation. There is no telling what this team will look like in five years.

MLB ERA

Of all teams, the Phillies are the least likely to sign him, especially if they're only willing to go 3 years. The Mets are rumored to be ready to offer up to 3 years, 4th year option, up to 15 mil per. The Red Sox have shown more interest than the Phils. The Phillies have a solid rotation, and don't really need to blow 15+ million on Lowe.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

We'll see. Phillies could be motivated to get him just so the Mets can't.

MLB ERA

Lowe has said he wants $16M/year for 3 years, with an option year. First team to come up with that cash gets him. The Phillies, Braves, Red Sox and Brewers are showing interest. Of those teams, I think he fits best in Boston or Philly. They have better infields.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

You're forgetting the team that actually gave him an offer. The Mets have said that they will continue negotiating. I can't see him ending up with the Braves or Brewers, and the Mets infield is as good as any...not to mention he'd probably rather stay in the NL....leaving the Mets and Phillies (based on the aforementioned assumptions), and I don't see the Phillies offering enough.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Associated Press reports that the Mets have extended a contract offer to free agent pitcher Tim Redding.
    Redding, 30, was 10-11 with a 4.95 ERA in 33 starts for the Nationals last season and the only pitcher on their staff to record a double-digit win total. The Rangers and Orioles are also thought to be in the hunt.
    Redding had a good first half last year and then the injury bug hit him in the second half resulting in a ballooned ERA. He should make for a decent 5th starter.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Mets are reportedly moving close to signing Tim Redding to a one-year deal.
    It'd probably be worth $3 million-$4 million. As things stand now, Redding and Jon Niese would both have spots in the Mets' rotation. However, if the team can sign Derek Lowe or bring back either Oliver Perez or Pedro Martinez, then there would likely be just one spot for Redding and Niese.
    Good signing for the money. They have to sign Lowe to make this worth it though. I think if it came down to Redding vs Niese for the 5th spot, Redding wins that battle.

MLB ERA

Redding agrees in principle with Mets on $2.25 million deal : All Things Rockies Colorado

According to this report, the deal is pretty much done, for 2.25 million over one year. Very good signing if you ask me. Redding is a perfect fit as a 5 starter, and if we sign either Perez or Lowe, we're in pretty good shape with the starting rotation. This is not a signing I thought I'd see Omar make, but I'm actually glad he did.

MLB ERA

Mets said to reach deal with Cora | mets.com: News

Mets signed IF Alex Cora to a 1 year, 2 million dollar deal to back up Wright, Reyes, and Castillo. He will also probably take over if Castillo is traded, or struggles. Good signing if you ask me. All we need now is a 2 or 3 starter, and maybe a LF. But for the most part, with a good SP signing, we are in pretty good shape.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mets signed LHP Casey Fossum to a minor league contract.
    Once an untouchable Red Sox prospect, Fossum is sitting on a career ERA of 5.47 in 782 major league innings. Masquerading as Detroit's second bullpen lefty last season, he was done in by right-handers, who feasted on him for a .310 average and 920 OPS.
    I thought Fossum was really going to be something. I was 100% wrong on that one.

MLB ERA

Well, a minor league contract means obviously nothing is a lock. He may fight to be the second lefty after Pedro Feliciano, where he has a shot to be decent at best. Not a signing that does much to improve the team, but it certainly can't hurt....I don't think.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Mets are also talking with Ben Sheets people. Problem a ploy to hurry Oliver Perez's decision but Sheets could work.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast