Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008-2009 Offseason Thread

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 2008-2009 Offseason Thread

So getting an overpaid mediocre second baseman is the answer? Not to mention they don't even need a second baseman or even a backup? Point is they would be taking on more money which doesn't help the cause. They don;t want Marquis anymore than they would want a third string second baseman making $6 million. Trade them something they might need and maybe it could happen. Why in the hell would you want the Mets to get Marquis anyway?

MLB ERA

I understand that Castillo doesn't help them, but if relieving cap space NOW as opposed to next year is what they're looking to do, then maybe they'd consider it....maybe the Mets throw in a minor leaguer or two, or if the Mets eat part of Castillo's salary.

I'd like Marquis because he'd be a (compared to FA's) cheap 4th or 5th starter, and then, if we sign Lowe, we could put Johan, Lowe, Pelfrey, Maine, Marquis, and have a very solid rotation, plus it would convince the Mets that there's space to sign Orlando Hudson.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Even if they did clear just $4 million by trading Marquis, that money would just toward getting a RFer and then they are stuck in the same situation. Cubs are most likely willing to eat $3 million and low cost, mid-grade prospects in return. Not overpaid players they don't need and will hurt the payroll for two more years.

Marquis at $10 million is not cheap especially for a 5th starter. Mets are better off getting Brad Penny or even Andy Pettitte than Marquis. Marquis doesn;t help the Mets chances of winning, it only hurts it. Mets can do a lot better.

MLB ERA

If the Mets offer Castillo, half his remaining contract, and a high risk minor leaguer for Marquis, you don't think they'd accept?

Pettite will a) require at LEAST 10 million, and will never play for the Mets, he's said so.

Brad Penny may come cheaper, but Marquis is a guaranteed 170 innings, and probably 10 wins, whereas Penny may pitch 200 innings, or may pitch 90 innings. So, yeah, I'd take Penny, but not for more than 4-5 million. We need a guy we KNOW will pitch every 5 days, that's not really what Penny is.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, I don;t see why the Cubs would accept it. Castillo makes too much and the Cubs have no room for him.

Pettitte will not make $10 million. He doesn;t have the Yankees anymore to drive up the price. If they aren;t willing to give $10 million, why would any other team?

You're right about Penny, he is a risk but at least you know he can pitch better than Marquis. Marquis is not a good pitcher and the Cubs ****ed themselves by giving him that ridiculous contract. Marquis wouldn't be a wise pickup for the Mets. I'm frankly shocked that anyone would want him to come to their team.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    No, I don;t see why the Cubs would accept it. Castillo makes too much and the Cubs have no room for him.

Pettitte will not make $10 million. He doesn;t have the Yankees anymore to drive up the price. If they aren;t willing to give $10 million, why would any other team?

You're right about Penny, he is a risk but at least you know he can pitch better than Marquis. Marquis is not a good pitcher and the Cubs ****ed themselves by giving him that ridiculous contract. Marquis wouldn't be a wise pickup for the Mets. I'm frankly shocked that anyone would want him to come to their team.
    First off, if the Mets cover half his contract, the Cubs would only be paying 3 million per year, that's not THAT bad.

Pettite WILL make 10 million. The Dodgers are interested, and the Yankees DID offer 10 million, he wanted more. They almost gave him more until they signed Tex. So, he's had a 10 million dollar offer, and he could conceivably make 10 million.

Marquis had a half decent year last year. I don't like paying 9 million for him, but is it any worse than paying 8-9 million for Randy Wolf? Is it worse than signing Tim Redding? My number one preference (after Lowe) is Jon Garland, but it doesn't seem like the Mets are going after him. So, I'd rather clear room, bring in Marquis as a 5 starter, and then have room to bring in Orlando Hudson, filling 2 holes for the price of 1(since Castillo is, himself, a hole).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Mets can eat all the salary they want, they still don;t have room for him. He is not better than Fontenot.

Pettitte will NOT make $10 million. The Dodgers interest is mostly media created. Talking with Joe Torre doesn't constitute the Dodgers being truly interested. The Yankees did not offer $10 million because even they thought it was too high. Pettitte wanted the $10 million and didn't get it. Again, if the Yankees are out of the running and the prices coming down on the remaining free agents, why would he make $10 million?

Having Hudson won;t offset the horrible pitching from Marquis. At this point, I would rather have Wolf over Marquis and I am no Wolf fan. Hell, I would rather have Pedro back than Marquis. Why not explore a trade involving a team that actually needs a second baseman to get a starter?

MLB ERA

Pettitte will NOT make $10 million. The Dodgers interest is mostly media created. Talking with Joe Torre doesn't constitute the Dodgers being truly interested. The Yankees did not offer $10 million because even they thought it was too high. Pettitte wanted the $10 million and didn't get it. Again, if the Yankees are out of the running and the prices coming down on the remaining free agents, why would he make $10 million?

Having Hudson won;t offset the horrible pitching from Marquis. At this point, I would rather have Wolf over Marquis and I am no Wolf fan. Hell, I would rather have Pedro back than Marquis. Why not explore a trade involving a team that actually needs a second baseman to get a starter?
    Pettite GOT AN OFFER of 10 million from the Yankees. It was on the table for 3 weeks. Pettite wanted 14-16 million. Where have you been?

Pedro can't get through 5 innings consistently, and can't put up an ERA under 5. Marquis is MUCH better than him. I'd take Wolf, but he wouldn't get rid of Castillo, so we wouldn't be able to fill a 2nd hole by signing Hudson. No team that actually needs a 2nd baseman wants Castillo, hence why the Mets have to look to swap bad contracts.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I have been here. I kept hearing the Yankees would eventually offer Pettitte $10 million but weren't really wanting to go that high. Never knew they made an actual concrete offer. Now that they have pulled that offer, why would any team offer more now?

The Royals could move bad contracts with Jose Guillen. The White Sox could move Jose Contreras since you like shitty pitchers. Seattle might take him for a Silva or Washburn. Plenty of teams could actually have some use for Castillo while giving up shitty starters. Its just that the Cubs would have zero use for him.

MLB ERA

I have been here. I kept hearing the Yankees would eventually offer Pettitte $10 million but weren't really wanting to go that high. Never knew they made an actual concrete offer. Now that they have pulled that offer, why would any team offer more now?

The Royals could move bad contracts with Jose Guillen. The White Sox could move Jose Contreras since you like shitty pitchers. Seattle might take him for a Silva or Washburn. Plenty of teams could actually have some use for Castillo while giving up shitty starters. Its just that the Cubs would have zero use for him.
    I am 99% sure that the 10 million dollar offer was on the table for a few weeks.

The Mets have been in touch with the Royals, talking about Castillo for Guillen both at the deadline, AND early this offseason. Mixed reports about who said no, but that deal is dead.

The Mets tried to talk about dealing Castillo for Javy Vazquez, but were distracted by K-rod and lost out. They don't want Contreras, because we know he can't handle NY.

Plus, at least Marquis is only 30, compared to about 36 for Contreras(or whatever he's claiming to be now).

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You thought Contreras was bad in NY, imagine Marquis. Yikes!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sources told the New York Times that the Mets have offered Derek Lowe a three-year, $36 million contract.
    There's just no way that Lowe is desperate enough to take that kind of deal. If he can't get close to $60 million for four years, he'd be better off doing a one-year deal and going back on the market. Given that he's never been on the DL, it'd be a far less risky strategy for him than for other starting pitchers.
    $12 million is more like it. Lowe should take the deal because he isn't likely to get a better one.

MLB ERA

Apparently Lowe isn't ready to accept the lowball offer. But, over the next week or so, the Mets are apparently going to offer contracts to Oliver Perez and Randy Wolf in addition to the contract offered to Lowe(which may be edited). They apparently feel confident that they only need to sign one of those three, and I can't see any way that they get shut out of all 3.

MLB ERA

If I may steal a joke from the Rocky Mountain News:

The Denver Mets? : Jock-ularity : Rocky Mountain News

The Broncos became the first NFL team to lead a division for 16 weeks and not make the playoffs. To commemorate the event, they will officially change their name to the Mets.

MLB ERA

On the MLB Network's Hot Stove Live,
    • According to Heyman, Derek Lowe rejected the Mets' three year $36MM offer because he hopes to sign a deal worth $16MM per season.
    • The Phillies and Braves are the Mets' biggest competitors for Lowe.
    • The Red Sox and a mystery team are also involved.
    Later on in the show, Mets GM Omar Minaya confirmed interest in Lowe, Randy Wolf and others. Cerrone notes that Minaya did not mention Oliver Perez.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast