Thread: Wagner's Mets Career Done?

MLB ERA

Injury Wagner's Mets Career Done?

Billy Wagner will have Tommy John surgery on his elbow and likely miss much of next season, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.
    Newsday said that Wagner would tendon surgery, but has since altered the report to say ligament instead. This is the worst-case scenario for Wagner, but perhaps not for the Mets. With Wagner set to miss most of the final season of his four-year deal, they could enter the chase for Francisco Rodriguez this winter.
    According to Ted Berg of SNY, citing a ‘team official,’ Billy Wagner will miss the rest of the year with a tear of his flexor pronator and MCL in his left elbow. He will have surgery as soon as this weekend, and could be out for up to one year.

Obviously this is bad news. I don't even know what to say. I never thought his injury was this bad. Hopefully the bullpen can step up, but that has yet to be seen...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Wagner's Mets Career Done?

Tough blow for the Mets as they are left with no clear cut closer. His Mets career best be done if Minaya is smart. It will be interesting to see how the Mets hang on with already a horrible bullpen.

MLB ERA

Re: Wagner's Mets Career Done?

Well, let's be fair. They're not as bad as they get credit for being. I mean, they have allowed one run in their last 26.2 innings pitched. The thing is when they have problems, every single pitcher has problems at the same time. Luis Ayala is 5 of 6 in save opportunities this year, and should continue to be their closer. Additionally, John Maine COULD come back and play a role in the bullpen as we get closer to the end of the year.