Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Randolph fired, Jerry Manuel made interim manager

MLB ERA

Re: Randolph fired, Jerry Manuel made interim manager

His legs WERE fragile. He hasn't hurt his legs since his 2nd year in the majors, 2004. He's been fine, playing 150+ games in the last 3 years, and on pace for that again. I don't think Minaya is the problem. His bad moves (according to most are Alou, Delgado, and Castillo), but Alou hit .340 in september, and if he could stay healthy, which is admittedly unlikely, he is a huge part of this team, and is still a GREAT hitter. Delgado showed little sign of tailing off at the time, and hit 34 HR his first year. Delgado was signed by the Marlins, so the contract wasn't negotiable. Delgado sucks, but I think that Minaya had reason to make that deal. Castillo is hitting only .270, but he's playing a good second base, has 30+ runs scored, 20+ rbi, 3 HR, and a .368 OBP. That's pretty decent, even though Minaya overpaid. The issue here is that the front office has two guys who undermined Randolph constantly, Bernazard and Jeff Wilpon. Wilpon is a spoiled prick. Jeff Wilpon is baseball's james dolan. son of a rich guy who gets to **** up a professional team to distract him from the real world.

Tony Bernazard is a huge ***hole. He undermined Randolph by telling the players what negative things Randolph said about them in closed door meetings. He basically told Manuel ahead of time that Willie was getting fired. He told reporters "I said Willie was safe for today....but not for tonight".

I will agree that Reyes acted unprofessionally, but I don't really have a problem with it. He wanted to stay in, and he tried to get Manuel to see that. Reyes showed respect by apologizing to Manuel, to his teammates, and to the media. I doubt you'll see that again....mostly because unless its serious, Manuel probably won't pull him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Alou was a bad move because like you said he is not reliable. Yes he is a good hitter for the 90 games he plays. Minaya also didn't have a good backup plan for Alou. He failed there too. He also didn't get one for Delgado either. Please don't forget the Pedro deal and the fact he didn't get an extra starter for this year. Wilpon has said repeatedly that the choice to fire Minaya was his and so goes the timing of it. Kind of the job of a GM. Bernazard didn;t have to tell anyone that Willie was getting fired. Everyone knew it already. The players, fans, media and even Willie knew the day would come eventually. Sad thing is the players knew it and still did nothing about it.

If you don't have a problem with your players acting unprofessionally, then you got problems yourself. I want my guys to want to stay in but I also want them to act like a pro and leave when told and show some respect. This isn't a democracy.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

reyes has had these kind of snits before. he doesnt seem to respond to criticism very well by his reactions to some of willies moves in previous years
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Alou was a bad move because like you said he is not reliable. Yes he is a good hitter for the 90 games he plays. Minaya also didn't have a good backup plan for Alou. He failed there too. He also didn't get one for Delgado either. Please don't forget the Pedro deal and the fact he didn't get an extra starter for this year. Wilpon has said repeatedly that the choice to fire Minaya was his and so goes the timing of it. Kind of the job of a GM. Bernazard didn;t have to tell anyone that Willie was getting fired. Everyone knew it already. The players, fans, media and even Willie knew the day would come eventually. Sad thing is the players knew it and still did nothing about it.

If you don't have a problem with your players acting unprofessionally, then you got problems yourself. I want my guys to want to stay in but I also want them to act like a pro and leave when told and show some respect. This isn't a democracy.

Alou was a decent move, with the idea that Endy could back him up. No one expected Endy to struggle this bad, or Angel Pagan to get hurt. The Pedro deal was not THAT bad at the time, he was very good in 2005, and although he got hurt, 2006 he missed most of the year without even hurting his arm. It was fluke toe and hip injuries. I don't know what you mean about Wilpon firing Minaya, but you have to realize that if Bernazard was telling Manuel that Randolph would be fired, before it happened, he's undermining Randolph's authority.

I have no problem with Reyes because people act like he's a grizzled vet. He's 25. Young kids do stuff they regret. He apologized, he knows what he did wrong, and it won't happen again. Manuel deserves no respect, he's done nothing but throw Willie under the bus at his press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    reyes has had these kind of snits before. he doesnt seem to respond to criticism very well by his reactions to some of willies moves in previous years

Reyes hasn't had snits. He had 2 instances in his whole career where he didn't run down to first. Both times he thought the ball was foul. He was wrong. He was disciplined. He accepted the punishment. The media overstates this ****. What proof do you have that he didn't respond well to criticism. He accepted everything Willie did, and despite his slump at the end of the year, even Willie would tell you Reyes had a good year, and grew a bit as a player.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Alou was a lateral move and did not improve on what was already not working. The Pedro move was THAT bad as it was too much money and too many years. It had disaster written all of it. I meant to write Wilpon said the choice to fire Willie was Minaya's. He had the choice of when and where and he blew it. Like I said, everyone knew Willie was going to be fired. There was no secret about it. His job has been on the line for weeks. Bernazard told Manuel nothing he didn't already know.

He's 25 but a in his sixth year!! He's no pup anymore. He should have known better. If they have no respect for their manager, how is anything going to change? Its not!

MLB ERA

First off, the Pedro move led to Beltran, it laid the foundation to prove that the organization wanted to win.

Second off, now that the firing went so badly, of course Wilpon is gonna pass the buck. If you were in NY, you'd know that it's SO obvious that it was Wilpon's doing. Jeff never wanted Willie hired in the first place, and Omar was Willie's biggest fan. Which one do you think had him fired?

Third off, you still don't undermine the manager's authority by telling his other coaches. That's Minaya's job.

Fourth off, it's only Reyes' 4th full year. He's still young, and he's learning. Look at Soriano, he's 32 and still acts worse than Jose.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Word to your mother, Jerry Manuel's a gangster.

Manuel met resistance from a helmet-tossing Jose Reyes on Tuesday night, when the shortstop's left hamstring tightened and he didn't want to leave the game. Reyes eventually headed for the showers, and shortly afterward apologized to Manuel for the well-intentioned insubordination.

"I told him next time he does that I'm going to get my blade out and cut him. I'm a gangster. You go gangster on me, I'm going to have to get you. You do that again, I'm going to cut you right on the field," quipped Manuel, who reinserted Reyes at shortstop and the leadoff spot for last night's series finale against the Angels.
    Jerry Manuel pitches in to help David Wright's hitting

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    First off, the Pedro move led to Beltran, it laid the foundation to prove that the organization wanted to win.

Second off, now that the firing went so badly, of course Wilpon is gonna pass the buck. If you were in NY, you'd know that it's SO obvious that it was Wilpon's doing. Jeff never wanted Willie hired in the first place, and Omar was Willie's biggest fan. Which one do you think had him fired?

Third off, you still don't undermine the manager's authority by telling his other coaches. That's Minaya's job.

Fourth off, it's only Reyes' 4th full year. He's still young, and he's learning. Look at Soriano, he's 32 and still acts worse than Jose.
    First off, it was still a horrible deal. Beltran would have followed the money regardless of Pedro or not.

Secondly, Omar wanted Willie fired. He is now saying that he didn't know until he got to LA that he was going to fire him. What a load of shit!! How can you have all offseason and this year to think about it and then do it 3000 miles away? Doesn't make a lick of sense. Minaya wanted to fire Willie to save his own ass. If Wilpon really hated Willie, why wouldn't he fire Minaya for hiring him? Exactly!! They both should have been fired!

Third, who is undermining who? If everyone knows about INCLUDING WILLIE, how in the **** is it undermining? Everyone knew this day would come.

Lastly, It is his 6th year in the big leagues. You can try and pull the full year shit but it doesn't matter. He has been a big league for six seasons now and should know after at least two how to act as a big leaguer. Soriano doesn't have fights with managers on first base. Reyes should know better and there is no excuse for the way he acted. He lost respect, not Manuel.

MLB ERA

Yes, without Pedro, Beltran was going to follow the money....to the Yankees. Pedro, and the team's commitment to winning brought him to Queens.

Wilpon wouldn't fire Willie because his dad(Fred, the real owner) couldn't make up his mind and Omar had been defending Willie for months. The front office was split, and he had no way of getting his father to support and sign off on firing Willie.Omar never wanted Willie fired, but he realized that he couldn't fight any more...it wasn't benefiting him, it was only pissing off his owner. Omar won't get fired, and he knows it. He will be given at least half of next year regardles of how this year goes. He and the Wilpons are best buds, and he has nothing to worry about yet. Plus, lets see you justify firing a guy who took over a team that went 71-91, brought them to 83-79 in his first year. The guy averaged 90 wins a year over his 3 seasons. Yeah, he had the collapse, but you either fire him then or give him the pass.

Thirdly, actually, the report was that Willie was gonna survive the first round of cuts. It was only supposed to be Nieto and Peterson. Willie had no idea it was coming this soon, and neither did anyone else, so you're wrong there.

Your opinion doesn't matter. Jerry Manuel had no problem with Reyes' actions, and even admitted that the main reason he pulled him was that it was his first day as manager. he was being overly cautious. Reyes did something immature, but who gives a rats as. He came out, apologized to everyone, played hard and acted mature the next day, and the Mets won. It's over, so stop making mountains out of molehills.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

jose reyes and mature do not belong in the same sentence.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

And how often do you watch Jose? Please let me know, because I don't think it's intelligent of you to base everything on one incident.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I read that yesterday. A little late there Wilpon. At least he didn;t wait as long as Alou did regarding Bartman.

MLB ERA

Interesting fact:

Willie Randolph this year: 34-35
    Jerry Manuel this year: 34-22

Manuel has the same number of wins that Willie did when he was fired, with significantly fewer losses. I don't buy that he's doing anything drastically differently, but I think the players may have quit on Willie(unfortunately). Hopefully the success under Jerry continues...

AAA ERA

$$$$$ led to Beltran not Pedro, this was the same guy who at the last minute called the Yankkes(his agent did) and offered less years and less money to sign w/ them. He signed w/ the Mets b/c the Astros and yankees didn't want to pay him and no one else would come close to what the Mets offered.

Interesting fact:

Willie Randolph this year: 34-35
    Jerry Manuel this year: 34-22

Manuel has the same number of wins that Willie did when he was fired, with significantly fewer losses. I don't buy that he's doing anything drastically differently, but I think the players may have quit on Willie(unfortunately). Hopefully the success under Jerry continues...
    The expectations were a little lower for Manuel and a couple of nice winning streaks and the fans hate for Willie have made it seem like manuel is doing a great job. He's done a decent job and the Mets are in a good spot, hopefully for you guys they can keep this play up and finish it off this year by winning the division.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast