Thread: Pedro Martinez: Return of the King

MLB ERA

Player Pedro Martinez: Return of the King

Sorry for the corny pun, but here's my reaction to his return.

I'm THOROUGHLY impressed with Pedro. He only had 3 K's tonight, but in just his first game back, he threw 109 pitches, went 6 innings, and gave up 3 runs. Normally, not great numbers, but he actually didn't have his usual control. He looked a bit "rusty" as Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez said. It looks like if he can stay healthy, he can be a big big big part of this team...

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Pedro Martinez: Return of the King

Oh no. Your next two threads are going to be "Johan and Pedro: The Two Towers" when they pitch back-to-back complete games, and then "New York Mets: The Fellowship of the Ring" when they win the World Series.

MLB ERA

HAHA. A man can dream, can't he? But seriously, the most shocking thing for me was how deep Pedro went pitch-wise. 109 pitches was a lot for him back before his recent shoulder problem. If he can brush up on his command and throw fewer pitches, he will be in good shape...limiting the likelihood of injury.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

How was his velocity? Pedro staying healthy would not only be a boost to the Mets if he performs as expected, but I think it could have a pretty large mental boost to the Mets as well, a sense of confidence of having Martinez back and healthy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pedro was definitely painting the black with a lot of movement. He was getting as high as 93 mph on his pitches but mostly stayed in the 88 mph. He would throw the heat when needed. I was impressed as well. Plus the ****er got two hits and drove in a run!!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Impressive to hear on all fronts. Also impressive that it seems like he has some gas left in the tank and decided to stay with a more maintainable velocity and therefore could go deep.

MLB ERA

Exactly. It was length and velocity that looked better than I've seen since the beginning of 2006.