Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wright Calls Team Mediocre

MLB ERA

Wright Calls Team Mediocre

The Official Site of The New York Mets: News: New York Mets News

Wednesday night when an 11-4 loss to the Braves put the Mets' winning percentage right at mediocrity, the word he used often was "embarrassed." "Extremely embarrassed," Wright said.
    Wright spoke as if Tuesday and Wednesday were seamlessly connected, that three losses in three games in Atlanta were like the first three quarters of a game. And he recognized Johan Santana was starting the fourth quarter. But his mood remained unchanged by that awareness. Three games had produced three losses. Those games can't be retrieved, those losses can't be fixed like written parking tickets.
    "I can accept losing," Wright said. "Not easily, but every team loses here and there. But to go out and give the effort we're giving, to go out and lose without a fight ..."
    His voice trailed off in much the same way his team has.
    "I just don't think we have the fire I would hope we'd have," Wright said.
    Standing at his locker, most of his teammates already departed, Wright pointed toward manager Willie Randoph's office, then to the room where the coaches dress.
    "The problem," he said, "isn't there or in there. ... The problem is with us, in here."
    Without any other pointing, he wondered aloud about the general confidence of a team that now has 22 victories, 22 losses and more problems than solutions. The Mets had been beaten by a team with less talent and, now, with more injured key personnel.
    "Losing like this, I hope, would ruin their nights," Wright said of his departed teammates.
    He didn't appear to think that it had.
    "I want them to take it personally when we lose," he said. "I want them to be ticked off.
    "If it was a matter of talent, it'd be different. If we just weren't any good, I could put my head on the pillow at night and sleep. But to got through the motions every night ..."
    Wright interrupted himself again.
    "Talking about it doesn't get it done," he said.
    But neither had playing.
    "It's hard to lose a doubleheader," Wright said. "It's actually hard. Ninety percent are splits. And after losing two and getting embarrassed, you'd expect to come out and fight today.
    "And we didn't."

He is completely right. no pun intended. This team's problem is not the manager, the coaches, nothing like that. The problem is that lack of intensity. This team needs something to light them up. Maybe they need to shave their heads for team unity again? If you ask me, I'm happy that Wright came out and said this. He speaks very intelligently, and reminds me in the media aspect a lot of Derek Jeter. Wright clearly doesn't like losing, and I think someone (maybe him) has to wake this damn team up. Wright defended Willie, and I agree that Willie should be given this season as his last shot. Otherwise, even if it's not his fault, it's time to move on. I can barely watch this team, they NEED to have something click. Maybe it will take a benches clearing brawl, a fight, something. They need to wake up before it's too late. Unfortunately, it appears that no one knows how to wake them.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Wright Calls Team Mediocre

He secretly told O'Conner that Carlos Delgado is well below mediocre. BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE!!!
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

haha. Delgado is well below mediocre. The team is playing poorly, but the talent level is clearly better than mediocrity. I just don't know when they will turn it around

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The sad thing is, you figure that Yankees series would give them some intensity, especially with the whole team congratulating each other and standing on the top dugout step...and right after they immediately lapse back. It's just bizarre and it's inconsistency that will kill the Mets this year. They have the talent to be one of the best teams in baseball.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

I don't know if it WILL kill them, but if anything does, this could VERY well be it. I jusgt can't even stand to watch them anymore. It's awful. This team needs to show some unity, shave their heads again, but if they don't....I don't know what will wake them up.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    haha. Delgado is well below mediocre. The team is playing poorly, but the talent level is clearly better than mediocrity. I just don't know when they will turn it around
    I like never.
    /braves
    Ted

MLB ERA

I have a feeling they will. It may not be this year, haha, but they will turn it around, I have faith. In the meantime, it's tough to handle as a Mets fan...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Losing sucks, obviously. Just imagine if you were a royals fan.
    Ted

MLB ERA

It's tough. I went through 2001-2004, and since 2005, I've felt that it was me getting my money's worth for all those shitty years. But apparently, I haven't paid my dues yet...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think shitty and paying dues are like averaging 60 wins a year while your best player is Jack Wilson or Jason Kendall.
    Ted

MLB ERA

Fair...but I mean, we were coming off back to back playoff years...a trip to the World Series, and then 4 years of less than 80 wins...especially with high expectations(duds like Alomar, Burnitz, Mo Vaughn, etc...)

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

You just proved his point.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And I've been used to penciling the braves in the playoffs for eleventy billion years, last two seasons, not fun. That and the constant need to trot out borderline AA talented starting pitchers because they never get guys who stay healthy.
    Ted

MLB ERA

At least you get to see some promising guys like Jurrjens...

And you have Santana and a payroll that's nearly double the Braves'.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast