Thread: Billy Wagner's Latest

MLB ERA

Billy Wagner's Latest

I love Billy, honestly, because he tells it how it is. I don't want to hear people sticking up for their teammates if it's not deserved, and the way things are going right now, some of these veterans need to understand that they are hurting us more than the young players are. It is the Delgados and the Castillos, and even the Beltrans who are hurting us. Because they have to lead by example, and their examples have been awful this year. Wagner had the following to say after today's depressing 1-0 loss to the Nationals:

"Can somebody tell me why the **** the closer is being interviewed and I didn’t even play, while they’re over there not getting interviewed? I get it, they’re gone. ****ing shocker.”
    NOTE:This was stated while pointing in the direction of Delgado's Locker

Honestly, Delgado has been terrible. He actually scorched one down the line to end the game, that Beltran shouldn't have gotten doubled off on, but he has been quite poor all year. I appreciate Billy's honesty. I know it may rub some people the wrong way, but I like it. I think that if anything is going to wake this team up from their slumber it could be Billy calling them out, combined with the upcoming subway series. If we don't wake up soon though, we could be done.

MLB ERA

Re: Billy Wagner's Latest

As an addendum, Wagner then followed up on the Michael Kay show:

“Well, I mean, I was not a participant in the game, and the guys that had participated were gone. I mean, we’re all upset, we’re unhappy with things that are going on, and how we’re playing, and I just felt like I hadn’t even played. I had no role in the game. David Wright is always there, and the same guys are always there. But there needs to be other guys that are accountable. It gets a little old when the same people keep getting interviewed even when they don’t participate…If you’re not there to answer the questions, the reporters can write whatever they want to. They can write you stunk, you sucked, whatever. But if you’re there to say, ‘Hey man, I wasn’t very good today. I came up and I had a chance and it didn’t work out.’ Well, you’re accountable. When you’re not there, it gets a little ridiculous…"

He's right. I especially like that while many athletes use the "misheard" or "lost in translation" excuse, Wagner stands by his word. He may not be able to keep his mouth shut at times, but he's right. David Wright always gets interviewed win or lose. It's about time other players take responsibility. Even Aaron Heilman has been interviewed after nearly every game he has blown. This is ridiculous. I want to see some of these guys take responsibility for their less than spectacular starts. And apparently, I'm not the only one.

PS: Listen to the Kay interview here: New York 1050 - ESPN: Michael Kay

Wagner has always been one of my favorite opposing NL Easterners, for that reason and for his intensity. He speaks his mind and I respect and appreciate that.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

Precisely. I fight with many fellow Met fans about Willie, and I honestly have no problem with his style of managing. I think that a manager as baseball smart as Willie can manage however he wants. I think Billy is the guy that can motivate this team, while Willie runs it. And David Wright can be the eloquent guy who leads by example (kinda like Derek Jeter is for the Yankees). Those roles work for me...I think that's what we need. I just don't want anyone on the team to get upset at Billy for speaking the truth.

MLB ERA

Billy the Kid has always been one that tells it like it is. If you want to know how he feels about something, just ask. He is honest and has played pretty well. Beltran and Delgado may have gotten a bit too "comfortable" in themselves. Neither has performed very well recently.
    Its too bad that Willie Randolph may be fired because his prima donnas don't want to give the effort required to win a game.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I agree to an extent. I don't think they're prima donnas, more embarrassed in their failures. Beltran left quickly, but did address the media. Delgado is the one in question, and I think that he has to change his act quick or face the wrath of the NY media