Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedro Martinez

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Pedro Martinez

...felt a "pop" in his hamstring in the 4th inning today against the Marlins.

The odds of ljshorty being alive at this point are 17-1. Any takers?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Pedro Martinez

Yeah lasting only 3 1/3 innings is hard to take. I had him for 10 easily. This will put him out a while since he uses his legs a little more than most to get him velocity. He's just so short.

MLB ERA

I said several years ago that he would not pitch enough for the Mets to justify the length of the contract he signed with them. He was a fine pitcher once, but those days are behind him.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

cant say that I am too surprised at this outcome. too fragile to be valuable over the long haul nowadays.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

I agree he is very injury prone, and he will probably miss 2 months or so, but you people have to realize that the signing was MUCH MUCH MUCH more than a baseball signing. Remember that Pedro brought with him interest from Carlos Beltran. Pedro brought with him interest from Jose Reyes in signing a long term deal. Pedro brought with him our #1 Prospect, Fernando Martinez ("I want to have the chance to learn from Pedro, and hopefully be as great as him one day"). Pedro brought with him interest from Johan. So, if you think about it as what ELSE Pedro brought us(and 15 wins in 2005 was nice too), his pitching is not the only reason we signed him. I'm devastated that he is hurt, and I really wanted him to do well. But he will not be done for the year, and he will not be remembered as a bust signing, seeing as how he brought us SOOOOO much.

MLB ERA

Shorty, you are right about him generating interest in Shea again. He has not, however, thrown enough pitches to warrant the contract he signed. He will be sitting on the beach in the dR sipping lemonade while the team struggles in his absence.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

He actually says and appears to miss baseball even more than we miss him. He spent the second half of last year on the bench with the players (up until he came back). Its not about pitches. It's about ticket sales, and even MORE importantly the talent that he got us. Because Beltran and others have said they would not have come without proof that we wanted to win. Pedro was the proof. (If I were the Mets)I would easily pay 52 million dollars in order to attract a #20 prospect, a top 10 OF in the major leagues, the best pitcher in the MLB, and a mentor for our young pitchers (Maine, Perez, and Pelfrey). Not to mention that he had a 15 win season. He has fought back from injuries that cause my pitchers to retire. And he DESPERATELY wants to pitch. He really does.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Mets announced that they expect Pedro Martinez to miss 4-6 weeks with a mild left hamstring strain.
    Some obviously define mild differently from others. With Martinez done for April, it looks like Mike Pelfrey will likely stick in the Mets' rotation. Orlando Hernandez could be back in about two weeks to claim a spot, but Nelson Figueroa will be needed to make one start anyway before then.
    The Mets are already injury prone in more positions than most so a hit like this hurts that much worse. Who's next? Santana has a greater load on his shoulders now.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

he is on the downard side of his career. He gets hurt too much now. He is just not the intimidating pitcher he once was.

Turn 2

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    he is on the downard side of his career. He gets hurt too much now. He is just not the intimidating pitcher he once was.
    Agreed, However you never know when he can come out and pitch a gem. He can still be a productive part of the staff as a middle of the rotation guy.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

yeah, you are probably right, but he doesnt intimidate teams like he once did though.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Turn 2 View Post
    Agreed, However you never know when he can come out and pitch a gem. He can still be a productive part of the staff as a middle of the rotation guy.
    unfortunately for him, that gem wont be coming until june most likely.

you have to wonder how much he really has left in the tank.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

MLB ERA

He still has enough left in the tank. He's not needed to be an ace, and in reality, seeing as how Johan is an improvement over Glavine last year, and Maine and Perez are at least as good, Pedro only has to be as good as.....whoever the hell the Mets' 4th starter was, I guess El Duque. So if Pedro can be mediocre, then the Mets will have a better staff than last year.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    He still has enough left in the tank. He's not needed to be an ace, and in reality, seeing as how Johan is an improvement over Glavine last year, and Maine and Perez are at least as good, Pedro only has to be as good as.....whoever the hell the Mets' 4th starter was, I guess El Duque. So if Pedro can be mediocre, then the Mets will have a better staff than last year.
    Hes not going to be back until may at the very earliest. More likely june. Hes always hurt nowadays. So whatever the case may be, his tank isnt very full anymore

MLB ERA

Here are Ken Rosenthal's thoughts on this subject: FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Poor judgment leaves Pedro-less Mets in lurch
    I don't always agree with this guy, but this time he seems to be right on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast