Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pedro Martinez

MLB ERA

Re: Pedro Martinez

My problems with that article are:
    1) I don't think we really needed Pedro as our #2, he was the 2 more because of his past then because of skill or importance. Maine and Perez are fine at the #2 and #3.
    2) Every GM makes a few bad moves, this one highlights the Mets problem right now, but thats going to happen. No one wanted Milledge, especially us, and we got two VERY useful parts for him.
    3) Draft strategy is a terrible argument for this, because who is to say what would have happened had the Mets drafted a certain pitcher, that they MAY or MAY NOT have passed up because of signing bonuses? Maybe they'd have another ace, and maybe the guy would have torn his shoulder up.

So, I don't think this is nearly as big a deal as people think. He was the #2 by chronology only, not by value or importance to the team. In reality, he was our 4 starter, and no one would believe that losing a #4 starter is that devastating. The reason that people make a big deal out of this is the same reason that he was our #2, NAME AND NAME ONLY! So, basically, I think everyone should calm down. The Mets are fine.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If I were a Mets fan, I wouldn't complain much about Omar giving up Bannister, considering Omar stole John Maine from the Orioles.

MLB ERA

...and Oliver Perez from the Pirates, and even El Duque from the Diamondbacks(for Jorge Julio)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12