Thread: Castillo's back for Mets, who are getting healthy

Mets Castillo's back for Mets, who are getting healthy

Second baseman Luis Castillo made his exhibition debut yesterday for the Mets, who are getting more whole at every position except catcher.

Castillo went 0-for-1 with two walks in the Mets' 10-3 loss to the Cardinals at Tradition Field. He had been on the slow track as he recovers from offseason surgery on both knees.

"I feel so good," he said after playing 5½ innings. "I feel so happy with myself because I made the right decision having surgery. I feel so different. A long time I don't feel like that."

With Castillo at second and Johan Santana on the mound, the Mets' lineup had a near-Opening Day feel. Carlos Beltran started his third straight game in centerfield and Carlos Delgado his fourth in a row at first base.

Ryan Church didn't play, but he had a good reason. His wife gave birth to their first child, son Mason Alexander, on Friday.

Angel Pagan started in leftfield, which could happen March 31 against the Marlins, especially if they pitch lefthander Mark Hendrickson. The only position that was not manned by an Opening Day starter because of injury was catcher. Brian Schneider and Ramon Castro are out with hamstring injuries, so Raul Casanova caught Santana.

Castro said he hopes to play today. Manager Willie Randolph said he's thinking of holding back Schneider until Wednesday, a day after the Mets' only off day of spring training.

Castillo was able to get right into the action. The first batter of the game, Skip Schumaker, grounded out for the first Castillo-to-Delgado 4-3 putout of spring training.

"I said, 'I hope the first ground ball, it don't come to me,' " he said. "That's the game. This game is crazy."

He also had a good test in the bottom of the first when he grounded one off pitcher Adam Wainwright's leg and had to book it to first base. Third baseman Troy Glaus threw out Castillo.

"That's good news for me," Castillo said. "I run good and I don't feel nothing in my knee."

The Mets knew Castillo, 32, was going to need a little extra time this month when they signed him to a four-year, $25-million free-agent contract Nov. 19. He performed well after the Mets got him from the Twins on July 30, batting .296 with a .371 on-base percentage in 50 games.

"He brought to the table a guy who is a good top-of-the-order hitter, makes contact, can steal bases, good on-base percentage and a switch hitter," general manager Omar Minaya said yesterday. "Defensively, he can turn the double play and knows how to play the game."

But, oh, those knees. Castillo played hurt last season and looked like it when he walked around with ice packs on both knees. He somehow stole 10 bases as a Met and 19 overall.

"He wasn't fully healthy," Minaya said, "and was still good for us."

The Mets, who in the offseason dined with David Eckstein in hopes of convincing him to move from shortstop to second base, were turned off by the former Cardinal's asking price, which was a reported four years and $36 million. Eckstein later signed with the Blue Jays for one year and $4.5 million.

The Mets may have reached too far when they gave Castillo the fourth year, but the Astros were hot on his tail.

"We did look at other options," Minaya said. "We were not sure if it was going to be Eckstein or Castillo, but in the end, when we were able to get a deal done with Castillo, we ended up choosing Castillo."

Could they have gotten him for three years?

"I think possibly," Minaya said. "I'm not sure. We just felt that we wanted to lock up the middle of the infield for the next couple years, and we felt with Castillo, we're going to be OK. The doctors felt that once he got the operation done, he should be fine. We based our decision on that."
    Castillo's back for Mets, who are getting healthy -- Newsday.com

MLB ERA

Re: Castillo's back for Mets, who are getting healthy

Unfortunately, today, Ramon Castro felt a twinge in his hammy, and Carlos Delgado got hit by a broken bat while on third base. Delgado needed 4 stitches...but I will admit I'm happy that a bunch of them are getting healthy