Thread: Johan Santana

MLB ERA

Johan Santana

So, first off what do you guys think of this trade? I think, considering we managed to hold on to Fernando Martinez, it has to be considered one of the best trades in Mets history. (Assuming of course that we get a contract signed with Johan).

Secondly, Can anyone think of a rotation in the NL better than Santana, Maine, Perez, Pedro, Pelfrey/El Duque?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Johan Santana

It's an impressive trade and they do have one of the best rotation's in the league. Perez is getting back to form and hopefully Maine can stay effective throughout the course aof a whole season rather than one half.

MLB ERA

The Mets got the best pitcher in the game for a package that doesn't include single can't-miss prospect. The Twins must be having trouble sitting right now.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This might rank up there with Pedro for Delino as the most lopsided trade of the live ball era.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Twins Re: Johan Santana

For you Mets fans:

I don't know how you guys did it. To convince our club to deal Johan for a few prospects is crazy. You must have used rufes or something, because I just don't see how this happened. One thing I can say is that thank goodness he's in the NL now.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Amazing trade for the Mets. Definitely establishing themselves as the NL favorite if you ask me, they give up good to mediocre prospects for (arguably) the best starter in baseball. Wow.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

I'm not sure this deal makes the Mets the clear favorite in the NL. They still have no depth at 1B or corner OF positions and old players at 2B and C. They depleted an already depleted farm system by giving up their #2, 3, 4 and 7 prospects for one player -- albeit a very good player.
    The Mets may have trouble scoring runs the way they want to and they still have issues in their bullpen to deal with, even after they picked up Lugo.
    The Mets are better than they were, but to say they are the clear favorites when the D'Backs picked up Dan Haren? The D'Backs were the better team at the end of last season and got better this off-season. The Rockies are still pretty good as are the Phillies.
    The NL will be very interesting to watch this season.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    One thing I can say is that thank goodness he's in the NL now.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

MLB ERA

Johan could win 25 games for the Mets next season.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I'm not sure this deal makes the Mets the clear favorite in the NL. They still have no depth at 1B or corner OF positions and old players at 2B and C. They depleted an already depleted farm system by giving up their #2, 3, 4 and 7 prospects for one player -- albeit a very good player.
    The Mets may have trouble scoring runs the way they want to and they still have issues in their bullpen to deal with, even after they picked up Lugo.
    The Mets are better than they were, but to say they are the clear favorites when the D'Backs picked up Dan Haren? The D'Backs were the better team at the end of last season and got better this off-season. The Rockies are still pretty good as are the Phillies.
    The NL will be very interesting to watch this season.

With Alou, Chavez, Church, Pagan, Marlon Anderson, and Damion Easley to play corner outfield, they may not be terrific, but they have plenty of depth. 1st base is weak, but their 2nd basemen is only 32 and coming off year where, despite injuries, he hit over .300 and allowed Jose Reyes to steal bases. Our catcher is 29 years old, so PLEASE explain to me how he is old? The farm system was weak to begin with as none of the players they gave up have truly extraordinary potential, except maybe gomez. The bullpen, with the return of sanchez, the addition of matt wise, ruddy lugo, steven register and a few others will be solid, especially since they wont be overused this year. They are not the favorites in the NL, they may not even be the favorites in the East, but they are certainly a VERY SERIOUS contender.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

What the hell were you doing up at 5 AM
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    With Alou, Chavez, Church, Pagan, Marlon Anderson, and Damion Easley to play corner outfield, they may not be terrific, but they have plenty of depth. 1st base is weak, but their 2nd basemen is only 32 and coming off year where, despite injuries, he hit over .300 and allowed Jose Reyes to steal bases. Our catcher is 29 years old, so PLEASE explain to me how he is old? The farm system was weak to begin with as none of the players they gave up have truly extraordinary potential, except maybe gomez. The bullpen, with the return of sanchez, the addition of matt wise, ruddy lugo, steven register and a few others will be solid, especially since they wont be overused this year. They are not the favorites in the NL, they may not even be the favorites in the East, but they are certainly a VERY SERIOUS contender.
    I have not said that the Mets are not a serious contender to win the NL East, nor will I. I have just said, and will repeat, the Mets should not be considered to be the "favorites" in the NL.
    I feel they are weak at the positions I have mentioned, and apologize for calling Brian Schneider "old" although at 31, catchers frequently are considered old.
    Here is the roster: FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - New York Mets Team Roster