Thread: Glavine talking milestone, retirement

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Mets Glavine talking milestone, retirement

January 30, 2007 -- Tom Glavine isn't sad that Barry Zito won't be in Mets' camp. Instead, Glavine is excited to see Oliver Perez, Phil Humber and Mike Pelfrey vying for rotation spots.

The Met lefty said yesterday the Mets made good moves by making no big pitching moves this winter, and he's heading to camp excited about the prospect of winning 300 games in possibly his final season.

Glavine joined teammates Julio Franco and John Maine at the Henry Viscardi School in Albertson, L.I., where they played wheelchair Wiffle Ball with kids. The 40-year-old lefty said that there's no better than a "50-50 chance" he'll be pitching in 2008.

"I think that if, knock on wood, I stay healthy and I win my 300th game, then I think it becomes really hard for me to pitch next year," said Glavine, who owns 290 career victories.

"But if I do all that and I have a good year, if, like last year, I win 15 or more games, then it's going to be hard to walk away.

"It's going to take something bad happening or something really, really good happening for me to pitch next year. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, I guess."

Glavine admitted some surprise that GM Omar Minaya didn't sign a big-ticket free agent like Zito or pull the trigger on a frontline pitcher in a trade.

"I think with all indications, that was what we were going to try to do," he noted. "But at the same time, seeing what guys are getting paid, seeing or hearing some of the rumors of what guys were asking us to give up in trades, no, I'm not surprised.

"And I think our organization was smart in not spending the money on Zito, I think we were smart in not pursuing some of the rumored trades and not giving up the guys that we were rumored to be giving up.

"In the end, they did all the right things."

Even without Pedro Martinez, Glavine compared the pitching staff favorably to the one in 2006, although he said repeating is tougher than winning the first division title. He gauged his concern level over the rotation as "medium" and stressed that most teams have starting pitching concerns every year.

"We're in a much better position than we were a year ago in terms of the quality of the guys who are going to be competing for those spots," he said. "Last year we came to spring training with quantity, maybe not much quality. And we pieced it together and did a good job."

Glavine is going into spring training with the same anxiousness and jubilation he had when he was a fresh-faced rookie with the Braves. He recently told his wife that with a milestone on the horizon, there's an even greater anticipation.

"I know I'm on the cusp of starting a season that could result in something that I desperately want to do, that would be a special thing to accomplish," he said. "But beyond that, I'm trying not to think about it. I'd love to get to 300 as quickly as I can and get it over with."

Glavine predicted that the Mets could duplicate their huge 2006 NL East lead this season. However, he cautioned that repeating is more difficult than winning the first division title.
    All he needs is 10 wins. Would be nice to see him get it and he should if the Mets score some runs for him.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Even though I can't stand the Mets, I will be watching the game when he is going for his 300th win. I was hoping it would of been with Atlanta but whatever.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I am a Tom Glavine fan as well. I am neutral with the Braves and Mets in liking them. Don't hate either team or necessarily love them either!!! But for a milestine like winning 300, I must admit it would have been nice for him to do it in a Braves Uniform.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    Don't hate either team or necessarily love them either!!!
    I would like not to but I can't just change a feeling that has been with me my entire life.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Draven, I understand your feelings, cause it has become a big rivalry. So that is fair. I just like players on both teams. Chipper is one of favorites in the game right now. I feel the same way about the Cubs, and the Cowboys in the NFL! I don't a problem with your feelings toward the Mets, I was just supporting the post you made about Glavine!

MLB ERA
    I don't particularly like the Braves or the Mets myself, but I will definately be cheering for Glavine to win his 300th this year. I've always been a fan of Glavine. I've just never liked the teams he has played on. The guy has been a great pitcher throughout his career and deserves the HOF enshrinement that will come with his 10th win of this season.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

I'll be happy when Glavine gets his 300th, but he's still scum for leaving Atlanta over an option year, then complaining about it, and finally wishing to go back to Atlanta.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic