Thread: Randolph gets contract extension

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Mets Randolph gets contract extension

January 26, 2007 -- Over two seasons, Willie Randolph has taken the Mets from the dregs of the National League to within one game of the World Series. COO Jeff Wilpon believed Randolph's impact has been as huge off the field as it has been in the standings.

"He changed the culture of the clubhouse from a country club to a work environment," Wilpon said at yesterday's press conference at the SNY network studios.

On Wednesday night, Randolph and the Mets reached an agreement on a three-year deal worth $5.65 million with a club option for 2010. The Met skipper - wearing a snappy red tie with blue Met logos on it - was thrilled the two sides found common ground.

"This is awesome," Randolph said. "I've felt all along this is where I belong. The things we've got going on, I want to be a part of it."

Mets general manager Omar Minaya told Randolph after the season that he hoped to get him a fair contract a little above the going rate.

He based the market value, in part, on what extensions Boston manager Terry Francona and White Sox skipper Ozzie Guillen signed. Francona signed an extension worth $1.65 million in 2007 and $1.75 million in 2008, while Guillen will get $1.1 million next season.

Randolph, meanwhile, will take home $1.4 million in 2007, $2 million in 2008 and $2.25 million in 2009.

"What has he done best? I use the word with Willie: consistency," Minaya said. "Those of you who saw him play, I thought he was a consistent player. I think he's a consistent personality. There's really not a lot of ups and downs with Willie. To me, that's a leadership quality that's important."

Minaya gave Randolph credit for managing the Mets to the seventh game of the NLCS despite the rotation problems.

"His experience of winning in the past showed in the playoffs," Minaya said. "There's no doubt. Winners usually don't panic. Winners take a chance."

Randolph said he wasn't fixated on the financial aspect of the deal, although he was clearly grateful.

"Respect to me is not dollars and cents, not necessarily," he said.

"I think the respect is that they feel like I'm the guy to help move this organization forward. That, to me, is ultimately the respect."

Having a manager who could handle New York was of the utmost importance to the Wilpon family and the front office, especially after Art Howe's reign of error from 2003-04. Randolph, a Brooklyn native and former Yankee player and coach, has posted a 180-144 record in two seasons with a division title. He admitted he'd always have a little bit of Yankee blood in him, but he considers himself a Met.

"It's a privilege to manage a Major League Baseball team, especially in this town," he said. "I grew up here. When you have a good, solid nucleus and you think about the David Wrights and the Jose Reyeses, and being a part of their progression and their growth, that's what gets me excited."

Certainly worth the money. Happy to see a guy like Willie get his dues from the Mets, he should be a solid manager for a long time.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Rookie ERA
    Definately worth it. I've always thought that Willie would make a great manager.

MLB ERA
    Well I'm not surprised they gave me an extention. He actually got them to the playoffs finally.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AA ERA
    Great move by the Mets locking him up, he's done a very nice job for the Mets.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I think this was an awesome move by the Mets. IMO, Randoplh is a very good manager, and only going to get better!! I think he learned some valuable managerial learning lessons last year in the playoffs and that experience will just improve his worth in the future!!! I was hoping the Brewers would have given him a shot before Yost got there. Give him some experience in a smaller market first, but he has proven that he can win in NY. So, why not stay!!!! I feel being a Yankee for the large part of his career also is a huge benefit, cause he already experienced the expectations of NY!!! I have always been a Randolph fan!!!