Thread: Defiant Pedro brushes back Guillen's warning

AA ERA

Mets Defiant Pedro brushes back Guillen's warning

April 9, 2006 -- Defiant Pedro brushes back Guillen's warning
    Pedro Martinez said he had "no reaction" to the warning by Nationals outfielder Jose Guillen that "it's going to get real ugly" if he is hit by another Martinez pitch.

Martinez, who is scheduled to pitch for the Mets in Washington on Wednesday, hit Guillen twice Thursday at Shea Stadium. The second time Martinez nailed Guillen, he angrily walked toward the mound with his bat in hand. Though both benches and bullpen cleared, no punches were thrown.

"You know what? If I get hit again, it's going to get real ugly if he's pitching," Guillen told the Washington Post. "He thinks I was going out there with the bat? Why would I need a bat for a 150-pound guy when I'm 230?"

Martinez has hit Guillen five times in his career. The only thing that may stop another heated exchange between the two is if Guillen is sidelined. He was forced to leave the Nationals' game Friday after being hit on his left arm.

It was the fourth time Guillen had been hit this season in 17 plate appearances. Guillen also could be suspended for charging the mound Thursday.
    As for Martinez, he refused to add more hype to what is becoming a highly anticipated series.
    "I have no reaction," said Martinez, who possibly could be pushed back to start Thursday after yesterday's rainout.

During the Mets-Nationals opening series, Nationals batters were hit six times; the only Met hit was Paul Lo Duca. After Lo Duca was nailed, Felix Rodriguez was ejected, the only pitcher thrown out during the series.

Regardless of Guillen, Martinez is still going to pitch inside.

"I don't think Pedro is going to alter how he pitches because he said that," Cliff Floyd said of Guillen's comments. "I think we have opened up a can of worms with him. We'll see what happens."

The teams play 15 more times, and the fervor of the series is only going to rise.

"It will definitely be intense," Floyd said. "They are ticked off. I would be mad as hell, too. Are we trying to do it [hit batters]? No, but those things happen in a game. That doesn't mean people have to accept it, but those things happen in games.

"The fans love it. Players hate it because it is too cold for that stuff right now. You like the added stuff that goes on, but you don't want it to the point where guys start to get hurt. You have retaliation. It doesn't mean when they say they are going to hit you that they are going to hit you in the arm or the leg. What if they hit you in the head? I've got family."
    andrew.marchand@nypost.com
    I hope Martinez does hit him again
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

I'd love it, if somebody would hit Pedro.

Pedro would whine like a little *****.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic