Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees Public Auction Announcement thread

Attention! Yankees Public Auction Announcement thread

So here's the deal. With Leo removing the market idea, I can do something I've wanted to do for a very long time: Start as an expansion team essentially. The team will be awful for a while, and I didn't want my market to be perma screwed from the start with such huge losing seasons.

Instead of PMing everyone and getting ignored still largely I figured this might be best. In theory, we could do a dispersal draft, but that could be cumbersome and Leo may not want to. The next best thing would be to auction off my guys.

What I want: youth, specs, or simply expiring deals. I'm not going to be a stickler. You guys will bid in public against each other. I'd love to clear my roster of anyone above 26 or so. People who help take long deals for middling players off my hands will have a better chance of their offer being accepted. I can shell out cash if it's needed too.

What I don't want: Older guys under contract past next season. Don't want them, and they screw with my plan. Older guys on short deals, younger guys on long deals are fine, but again, my overwhelming desire is to treat this project like an enhanced expansion team (enhanced because I have some worthwhile specs and would be getting some back in the cases of Taylor or such) though I don't have my 1st for the next 2 years.

Once everyone has had time to be aware and ask questions, I'll throw up the 1st player and the rules.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Re: Yankees Public Auction Announcement thread

I don't think this is healthy for the league. I am as frustrated as anyone with GMs who don't return PMs... but there is a reason that this league has thrived for so long. This has been tried back in the early days of this league and didn't work.

Some of your guys will go for nothing and that could affect league parity. No one will bid in public until 3 seconds before the deadline and then they will only bid just above the last visible bid. Ebay and OOTP do not mix. The value must be there.

Just some thoughts....

I would already bake in a right to extend the auction if someone tries to snipe bid. I would try to ensure there would be integrity so no one just hops in.

The TC would obviously have to pass things too. If a fair deal isn't there, which, it should be considering I'm willing to work with cash and contracts, there's a problem.

It also leads back to the dispersal draft, in which players could go for free, but we'd do it so the worst teams would get the most benefit, and no team could load up. I'm not sure if I have enough players to satisfy all the teams though.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You might want to try 'patience' in running your team.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I would already bake in a right to extend the auction if someone tries to snipe bid. I would try to ensure there would be integrity so no one just hops in.

The TC would obviously have to pass things too. If a fair deal isn't there, which, it should be considering I'm willing to work with cash and contracts, there's a problem.

It also leads back to the dispersal draft, in which players could go for free, but we'd do it so the worst teams would get the most benefit, and no team could load up. I'm not sure if I have enough players to satisfy all the teams though.
    I'm glad to see you commit to a full rebuild, but I think you can market your players and trade them between now and the deadline w/o any problems. I've done it countless times across several leagues.

Whatever you think... Again, just offering some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    You might want to try 'patience' in running your team.
    Patience for what? I want to build up an expansion team. How does patience factor in?

Quote Originally Posted by OrioleMagic View Post
    I'm glad to see you commit to a full rebuild, but I think you can market your players and trade them between now and the deadline w/o any problems. I've done it countless times across several leagues.

Whatever you think... Again, just offering some thoughts.
    It's not a rebuild that I'm after, though as a result it has to be. It's a desire to take something from pure scratch and build it up from the ground up.

What could also be done is maybe Leo can release them all come FA time and just make the FA class richer without imports.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by OrioleMagic View Post
    I don't think this is healthy for the league. I am as frustrated as anyone with GMs who don't return PMs... but there is a reason that this league has thrived for so long. This has been tried back in the early days of this league and didn't work.

Some of your guys will go for nothing and that could affect league parity. No one will bid in public until 3 seconds before the deadline and then they will only bid just above the last visible bid. Ebay and OOTP do not mix. The value must be there.

Just some thoughts....
    I'm fine with it under the premise that if someone wins the public auction with less than acceptable return it still has to go through the TC and likely won't pass.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I'm fine with it under the premise that if someone wins the public auction with less than acceptable return it still has to go through the TC and likely won't pass.
    Novel concept.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Patience for what? I want to build up an expansion team. How does patience factor in?
    You will get shitty offers/bids/whatever you want to call it. That's just how people are. I'd love to see you execute patience and wait for a good, or at least reasonable deal, to come along. You are way too intelligent to agree to many of the tragedies you've agreed to. I'd rather you take the initiative and say no or turn down a deal that's going to be lousy than satisfy other people. I mean, awesome, you finally want to commit to an idea with your team. But don't force. Don't pawn off your top tier talent for bullshit deals (cause you've tried, many times). There's no harm in keeping Tanaka or Taylor or Cooper until a worthy opportunity presents itself. They're in their prime so there's no rush to dump them like Ichiro. Patience.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 10-22-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    You will get shitty offers/bids/whatever you want to call it. That's just how people are. I'd love to see you execute patience and wait for a good, or at least reasonable deal, to come along. You are way too intelligent to agree to many of the tragedies you've agreed to. I'd rather you take the initiative and say no or turn down a deal that's going to be lousy than satisfy other people. I mean, awesome, you finally want to commit to an idea with your team. But don't force. Don't pawn off your top tier talent for bullshit deals (cause you've tried, many times). There's no harm in keeping Tanaka or Taylor or Cooper until a worthy opportunity presents itself. Patience.
    Oh, I'm sure there will be a ton of shit offers. I guess I'm naive enough to believe someone/s will present an actual decent offer, and if it's not, as Leo alluded to, the TC can police things.

I wish there was a way to make this work instead of having to wait things out, because it might be a while otherwise.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

*cough*

This is kinda a thread jack, but we should try adding expansion teams in GML...

some of us just choose to run them as an expansion team.

Plus, let's get more than 20 active GMs first.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

some of us just choose to run them as an expansion team.

Plus, let's get more than 20 active GMs first.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

We had 20 active GMs? Or 20 active dupes.
    Ted

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast