Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing free agency compensation

MLB ERA

Molina's Sim League Introducing free agency compensation

Rules for Free Agency Compensation (Changes in bold in effect beginning 2054 opening day)

- There are three categories free agents can fall into: Type A, Type B, Type C

- Type A free agents will be extremely rare, but when they exist will warrant a 5.0 prospect at the same position and a 4.0-4.5 prospect at any position (randomly generated) (I'm doing away with taking the draft pick from the GM who signs him because it's too convoluted if he traded it already)

- Type B free agents will warrant one lower-tier 5.0 star prospect at the same position

- Type C free agents will warrant a 3.5-4.5 star prospect at the same position

- With rare exceptions for superstar relievers (judgment call by me) middle relievers and closers are not eligible for free agency compensation

- If you do not make an honest effort to extend your comp eligible player he will not receive compensation (judgement call by me)

- In general, players age 34 and above are not eligible for compensation, however if the player has shown no signs of dying and you have made an honest effort to extend him beyond just the next season (judgment call by me) I will make him eligible for one tier lower than he would otherwise qualify if he were younger.

- You must have had the player on your roster for longer than 1 season for him to be eligible for compensation.

- If you sign a player eligible for free agency compensation at the same level as your comp-eligible free agent you forfeit your compensation.

- Comp picks will be generated on draft day of the upcoming season

- you can trade your comp pick even before it is generated, but not until all comp eligible free agents of the same level have been signed in free agency
    Last edited by HollywoodLeo; 05-30-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Re: Introducing free agency compensation

Elias rankings are sooooo last CBA.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

Actually, why don't we do the qualifying offers? It's more accurate, simpler, and likely far easier on you.

Also, move the trade just signed FAs to the actual date, please.

Rookie ERA

Sweet

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
    Actually, why don't we do the qualifying offers? It's more accurate, simpler, and likely far easier on you.Also, move the trade just signed FAs to the actual date, please.
    Not sure what you mean by qualifying offers

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Not sure what you mean by qualifying offers
    What baseball implemented after they got rid of the type A and B free agents and Elias system. Now, you offer a player a 1 year contract at a set level determined by the MLB, think it's average of top 100 salaries, have to double check. If the player signs with a new team, they forfeit their 1st (unless it's protected for suckage) and you get a sandwich pick. Obviously we wouldn't want to deal with the picks, so it could be those Type A prospects you mentioned. Far easier, and it's closer to real life.

MLB ERA

Problem with that is I can't force that one year extension, so I'd have to do manual contract and cash editing after signing them back in free agency.

Why would you need to force a one year extension? If they decline it, then the team gets the "pick".

The process would be Leo sets the QO, teams who want compensation offer that to a FA they don't really want to keep, or one they want to keep but isn't staying. Player doesn't accept the offer, the team gets comp. Player does accept the offer, the team keeps the guy. It sucks for teams gambling that a player will turn down the offer, but that's just like real life.

MLB ERA

Not bad, I guess, but with the fact that most non-extensions will come as a result of a player no longer talking (meaning you can offer him 5 years x 35 mil per and he just won't talk) it would be kind of pointless to decide whether or not to give the offer.

In terms of gaming the system? Yeah. Though that's easily circumvented by saying if he gets to that point, you can't offer, thus no loophole to exploit. It gets pretty obvious when a player doesn't like things. They even say "close to breaking off negotiations." so it wouldn't come as a surprise or a worrisome gamble for an honest player.

It's not perfect, but it eliminates the arbitrary lines of what qualifies as A or B or none, eliminates you having to determine that, and will essentially self limit people hoarding, assuming the QO is north of 10MM (real life was 13.3MM), so "junk" types won't be netting you players because they'd jump at 13MM.

MLB ERA

the "junk" types wouldn't net anything because they wouldn't be qualified anyways under the right criteria.

No, I know that, I was saying rather they still wouldn't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast