1 8.33%
  • End the league

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MSL - The Next Generation

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Re: MSL - The Next Generation

I would not be in favor of a new 04 league. Too much rich history in this league, plus Baltimore happens to be working on a second attempt at a 10+ year dynasty. It’s not a big deal to start at the beginning of the season though.

I would lean towards starting over. There’s going to be an influx of new GMs and some current GMs swapping teams. I think starting fresh would make it more attractive to new GMs and just start everyone on a clean slate.
    MSL
    Atlanta Braves 2055 - Present
    Championships: 3 (2063, 2065, 2066)

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ucfinfan86 View Post
    I would lean towards starting over. There’s going to be an influx of new GMs and some current GMs swapping teams. I think starting fresh would make it more attractive to new GMs and just start everyone on a clean slate.
    Agreed

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA

While I get the appeal of starting over, I must ask then why would it even be a continuation of this league at that point? It'd really just be a new league in the old engine.
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra

Originally Sane
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy Bastard View Post
    I’d vote for starting the season over, but sticking with the league history.
    Second

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Rookie ERA

While obviously I've been involved in the league for far shorter than some of y'all, I certainly have grown attached to my squad and it would be a little bittersweet to wipe that out (it's the main reason I turned down taking over the Yankees when Mach retired as a GM, despite the Yanks being my favorite IRL team). I think I'm also on board with the start the season anew but keep the history. But if the move is for a full reset I get that I guess.

MLB ERA

whatever. Lets finish this year, I actually spent some FA money!
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    whatever. Lets finish this year, I actually spent some FA money!
    Well I can tell you this much - we're at least restarting this season since none of it has really happened and as much as possible want to give everyone - including new people a fair chance, especially with the new financials.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

I actually side with the carry forward with the past - just start the season over which seems to be the most common thought. But I see all points across the board. I'm wondering if there's a sort of compromise where we kind of reboot in 2076. That is, you can keep your team if you like it, but if you want to blow it up, you can. There'd be some sort of draft of all the blow it up teams. Especially because we're going to have quite a few empty teams at first until we get rolling and build up goodwill. There's a lot of history, and as OM noted, some teams have done a lot of work to get where they are. On the flip side, new GMs aren't going to care.

Another factor is I don't have a file from way back with real players. Cubby's are corrupted everywhere I go, which would be somewhat of a problem. I'm not sure what follows those.

I know that means still no real players, but I'm not sure how much that really matters considering they'd be obsolete pretty quickly.

Rookie ERA

Can you summarize the league financial changes and there impact to the teams?

Quote Originally Posted by madsheep View Post
    Can you summarize the league financial changes and there impact to the teams?
    This may be easier:

Basically I've overhauled it all to match real life. National TV money is even (based on real revenue). Local TV money is Total Local money minus Attendance (all real money). Merchandise is rolled into Local TV. What I didn't take from real life (except for calculations) was gate money. This is going to be a big driver to help eliminate disparity to an extent. A smaller market team who does well is going to clean up in terms of attendance money while a poor big market team will still have a large baseline, but very low ceiling.

In other words, a team like the Orioles won't have huge pockets, but if they're winning, will be able to support a fairly substantial payroll. Conversely, if the Yankees tank, they'll be losing out on $50MM worth of revenue and won't just be able to buy their way back - but can still support a huge payroll. This will allow smaller market teams to hold on to their players - to an extent.

There was a lot more involved - looking at baselines, multiple reports (Forbes revenue, studies on how much of revenue was spent on players, etc.), but this was the result.
    Last edited by Mach; 04-07-2020 at 03:07 PM.

one tweak I need to make is that I used the Marlins as a stand in for the Expos, but the Marlins will be coming back, so minor tweaks.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow29 View Post
    While I get the appeal of starting over, I must ask then why would it even be a continuation of this league at that point? It'd really just be a new league in the old engine.
    This, really. It's not even MSL if we start over. It's just another league. Mach wouldn't even need the file if he was just starting a new league. I'd be inclined to just keep doing it myself with whatever activity I get if we went that route....maybe.

I'm a million percent in favor of keeping league history.

I'd still participate in a new league but it wouldn't feel the same.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

While working on this conversion, I'm curious how everyone would feel going from 6.5 to 8. The idea being 8 is completely free and thus everyone could do uploads and downloads. Not married to the idea in the least, but wanted to throw it out there.

I don’t know the differences between 6.5 and 8. I’ve only seen 6.5 and I think it was like 19 that someone started another league here a few years ago.

I do like free though.
    MSL
    Atlanta Braves 2055 - Present
    Championships: 3 (2063, 2065, 2066)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast