• Would buy it

13 65.00%
  • Wouldn't buy it

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OOTP 6.5 ownership

OOTP 6.5 ownership

Hey folks,

Curious to see who has the game already, would buy it (I think the 6.0/6.5 pairing is $25 or so), or wouldn't buy it.

I've conflicting information on if it works for Mac, though I imagine a decent amount of us have an old dinky laptop lying around being the game is 14 years old, or are used to using virtual instances of Windows.

I'm trying to get a read on workload. Anyone who wants to do things manually still can, but there are a plethora of benefits for having the game.

For me and Leo, this means more frequent sims with less work. For you guys the benefits are:

- submit your own FA offers (so you know who likes you and who doesn't)
    - work your own extensions (so you can check that at your leisure)
    - have complete control over your minors, meaning you can play anyone anywhere
    - have more ability to tinker with potential ideas (how does this player look at one position over another)
    - simply upload your team instead of typing everything out. If you mess up, you can simply just re-upload.

Probably a couple others. You may be able to do Spring Training adjustments, but I haven't verified. The idea would be the only manual piece for you and us would be trades and in season FA signings. Extensions, FA, and roster moves could be handled in game via uploading.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

Re: OOTP 6.5 ownership

As a side note , if you have 6, you can do everything fine for exporting even if the commish uses 6.5. Given ootp 6 is hella old now I imagine if you’re buying the game now this statement doesn’t matter

Rookie ERA

I would buy it but I don’t have a working computer. The $25 is nothing. Just don’t have a computer and have no plans to buy one now

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cbenoit108 View Post
    As a side note , if you have 6, you can do everything fine for exporting even if the commish uses 6.5. Given ootp 6 is hella old now I imagine if you’re buying the game now this statement doesn’t matter
    You can upload 6.0 from several places tho... but I didn't know it would work for exports.
    MSL Athletics GM- 2065+

HOFF Athletics GM- 1978+
    VAV Phillies GM- 1985+

VAV Hornets GM- 1993/94+
    (95/96 Champions)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I've always wanted to have 6.5 again, but the other league I'm in makes it so dang easy I've just delayed that. I might have a non Mac computer I can utilize for it. Count me in as willing to buy it at some point, since it would be pointless to be in this league without it.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 12-16-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Still got about 12 folks needing to weigh in here.

My brother is willing to give me his old laptop that I can essentially just use for this. I’d be willing to buy the game if this is for sure going to happen. I have no idea how the import/export thing works and if I can only buy 6 or 6.5 instead of both I’d prefer that.
    MSL
    Atlanta Braves 2055 - Present
    Championships: 3 (2063, 2065, 2066)

Rookie ERA

Is the thought that if you don’t own the game you can’t be in the league anymore? It’s fine if that’s the case as I’m not running the league and if that’s the route you are taking the great. If not, do we have to wait for people to respond? Just thinking on how we can get the ball rolling on this. If people can buy the game at a later date a do it later, or do you need to set it up in the beginning g with the people using the game? Just thinking out loud and want to get to next season. Tell me to shut up if you want lol. Aye.

Quote Originally Posted by madsheep View Post
    Is the thought that if you don’t own the game you can’t be in the league anymore? It’s fine if that’s the case as I’m not running the league and if that’s the route you are taking the great. If not, do we have to wait for people to respond? Just thinking on how we can get the ball rolling on this. If people can buy the game at a later date a do it later, or do you need to set it up in the beginning g with the people using the game? Just thinking out loud and want to get to next season. Tell me to shut up if you want lol. Aye.
    ha, good questions

- We'll still do manual changes. Ownership has no bearing on membership. The only way it matters is to an extent sim schedule and who's taking point. But that's not terribly important right now (it's not holding anything up).

- We're already working on stuff behind the scenes. I think we've cleared the first hurdle of "will people import, and is it even worth it?" as there seems like at least half the league who will, making the investment worthwhile.

It's more coordinating schedules between Leo and I testing a few things. I'm hopeful we'll have something rolled out during the last week of December or early January but I hesitate to put that in ink so to speak.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Originally Sane
    Rookie ERA

I might have a non-Mac that I can get my hands on. If so, to be honest, I'm not yet sure if I would buy it, or not.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think for those who do not have or do not plan on having the game to export, you might want to strongly consider the competitive advantages that GMs who have the game will have, because there are many.

The few that are in another league with me that has a mix of people who have the game and don't, many of those competitive advantages are offset by a pretty sophisticated website program thingamabob that almost mirrors 6.5 roster management. But even then, there are still many advantages with the micro-managing aspect (not just your minor leagues, but you can literally utilize strategy with every single player on your major league roster- for example, if you have a really fast, great base stealer, you can have set them to steal more often OR if you have a great rotation and an eh bullpen, you can use the pen far less frequently..just a few examples).

Not meant to be a buzzkill but I don't anticipate any sophisticated mechanism with this league beyond private messaging roster changes to Leo or Mach, so those with no plans to have the game, you are going to have many disadvantages. It's better that everyone fully understands that going forward. Especially if you have never tinkered with an OOTP game or haven't in ages.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    Rookie ERA

No on the old laptop or buying 6.5

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I think for those who do not have or do not plan on having the game to export, you might want to strongly consider the competitive advantages that GMs who have the game will have, because there are many.

The few that are in another league with me that has a mix of people who have the game and don't, many of those competitive advantages are offset by a pretty sophisticated website program thingamabob that almost mirrors 6.5 roster management. But even then, there are still many advantages with the micro-managing aspect (not just your minor leagues, but you can literally utilize strategy with every single player on your major league roster- for example, if you have a really fast, great base stealer, you can have set them to steal more often OR if you have a great rotation and an eh bullpen, you can use the pen far less frequently..just a few examples).

Not meant to be a buzzkill but I don't anticipate any sophisticated mechanism with this league beyond private messaging roster changes to Leo or Mach, so those with no plans to have the game, you are going to have many disadvantages. It's better that everyone fully understands that going forward. Especially if you have never tinkered with an OOTP game or haven't in ages.
    Can you tell me more about the sophisticated website program thingamabob? I'm interested in anything that has tangible use.

Quote Originally Posted by schisno View Post
    No on the old laptop or buying 6.5
    Or to voting for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Deez View Post
    I might have a non-Mac that I can get my hands on. If so, to be honest, I'm not yet sure if I would buy it, or not.
    Stop being a cheap ass.

I may lend the second license to someone until they decide if it's worth the buy or not as you get two installs on purchase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast