Thread: Kubel may start in OF come season opener

Kubel may start in OF come season opener

Link

FORT MYERS, Fla. - Following a powerful hitting display by Jason Kubel that included a two-run home run and a sacrifice fly Wednesday, Minnesota Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said he would not hesitate to start him in right field on Opening Day.

With just four exhibition games remaining, Michael Cuddyer, the projected Twins starter in right field, remains out with a strained left oblique muscle.

Kubel hit his two-run shot in the fifth inning as the Twins went on to defeat the Baltimore Orioles 5-4 in front of an announced crowd off 7,363 fans at Hammond Stadium.

"I finally got one to bounce over," Kubel said of his home run, which bounced off the top of the stadium fence before flying over it. "I've been feeling really good the past four or five games. I'm really excited about that."

Designated hitter Rondell White hit a two-run single in the bottom of the ninth as the Twins came from behind for the victory.

Kubel, 23, missed all of last season while recovering from an injury that wrecked every ligament in his left knee and required reconstructive surgery.

"I'm running down the balls in the outfield, so that's fine," Kubel said of the knee. "We'll see what happens."

Kubel's last big-league game was during the American League Divisional playoffs against the New York Yankees in 2004. He went 1-for-7 during the postseason.

This spring, Kubel has hit .245 (13-for-53) with a team-high 11 RBI.

"He's putting a pretty good swing on the bat," Gardenhire said. "Cuddyer's out right now. I would not be uncomfortable if I started him (Kubel) on Opening Day. I had him out there against the Yankees in the playoffs."

Although Cuddyer has been feeling better - he has taken batting practice each of the last two days - Gardenhire wants to remain cautious with him."You get in a game and your adrenaline starts pumping, and you can hurt it even worse," Gardenhire said. Cuddyer was injured after diving for a catch and then throwing the ball.

On the mound, the Twins now have 11 pitchers in camp after placing right-hander Dave Gassner on the 15-day disabled list.

Yet Gardenhire declined to name his 11 pitchers for Opening Day.

"You never know what might come through the waiver wire," he said. "You see players let go by other teams, and there's trade possibilities at this point. So you don't want to say that this is your 11 guys."

With Dennys Reyes re-assigned to minor league camp Wednesday, Francisco Liriano remains the only left-handed option in the bullpen. Liriano struck out three and gave up three runs off four hits in three innings.

"I feel pretty safe with Liriano as a matchup lefty," Gardenhire said with a grin. "He's in line to be used like J.C. Romero - against lefties and righties. Either or."
    Any thoughts Twin fans?

MLB ERA
    I'm not too sure about Kubel in any starting role yet, but I'm not as up on the team this spring training as I have been in the past.

As for the final couple of paragraphs..... That bothers me. Liriano in the bullpen and being the only lefty in there. That has disaster written all over it.

Gardentwit..... this guy gets better with age, doesn't he?!

Rookie ERA
    I really don't have a problem with Kubel after seeing him this spring. He can hit the cover off the ball when he gets into one and his defense in the field has been pretty good (when I saw him).

As for Liriano - he's young but he has good stuff. Since the Twins are short on lefthanders it is really the only thing to do with him. But I'd rather him start in AAA first but what can you do. I really don't believe he's ready to start in the majors after seeing him during two spring games.

The bullpen isn't so bad with all the righties - although I'm not impressed with Eyre at all. He has no command and no control and really didn't pitch very well when I saw him in two games. Baker I liked very much - he's ready and he's got some good stuff.

As for Gardy, he's doing what he can with all the injuries and a mixed of mostly young players with a few vetrans here and there. I like Gardy, I think he's a great manager for the Twins organization.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Let him start in the field! He was the guy we wanted to be the everyday of last season and then he got hurt in winter ball in Arizona. The kid can hit the ball and is a power source the twins need. Ford stinks!

Hunter centerfield
    Kubel Rightfield
    Stewart Leftfield

there is nothing wrong with this team in the field!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Rookie ERA
    We really need a hard hitter, but think about it. Kubel's coming off of an injured season. That would throw him off a little bit if he is being named a starter right away, that is just my thought.

Oh, lord, it is all down to Gardy.