Thread: Radke to retire after 2006?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Twins Radke to retire after 2006?

http://www.startribune.com/509/story/332051.html

FORT MYERS, FLA. - Twins pitcher Brad Radke has hinted strongly for months that this could be his final season.

Now, it sounds as if Radke is determined to retire at season's end -- unless something changes his mind.

"That's a pretty good sense [of how he feels]," Radke said Sunday, after pitching five innings in the Twins' 7-5 loss to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Radke, who is in the final season of a two-year contract, clearly doesn't want to make any major pronouncements about his future.

"I'm not going to make a decision during the season," he said. "It's all going to be after the season."

The Twins have been encouraged by what they've seen this spring.

Radke, 33, cut last season short after reaching the 200-inning mark because the pain in his right shoulder was unbearable.

"I could barely pick up a feather at the end of last year," Radke said.

This spring, the results haven't been spectacular. After giving up two runs and five hits Sunday, Radke has a 5.82 ERA and has allowed 19 hits in 14 innings.
    I don't think this would hurt the Twins too much since they have some pitchers to step in...what do you guys think?

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I doubt he will retire, if he has a good year he will be back for 1 or 2 more years.

There are plenty of arms in AAA that is more than ready to pitch for us..
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    I dunno wtf this team would do every 5th day when we no longer have a starting pitcher giving up the obligatory 1 or 2 homeruns in the first or second innings.

Don't get me wrong. Radke is a good pitcher, but not great. He's good in ways that he can usually last 7 innings on a regular basis. The only reason that I could see him retiring is if he just has no desire to play anymore. I'm sure he could find another place on a staff, just not as a starter within the next couple of years. Biggest drawback on Radke is that he's extrememly overpaid (well, and that obligatory home-run thing).