Thread: My Memories of Puck

MLB ERA

Twins My Memories of Puck

I felt a need to do this as it's been grating at me all night long. This isn't an article off the internet. These are my own words. I have so much to say and yet don't know how to say it. Please bear with me as I try to give a short account of how -I- knew and will remember Kirby ... forever!

Lynch

(image from USA Today)

Being someone who went to a great many ballgames in the 80's, I saw that image (above) up close and personal a few times. We'd get to the games early just to make sure we could get a seat down in left-center field right up against the glass (they had glass like hockey rink glass in left field in those days).

There was nothing that would put a smile on your face faster than seeing Kirby rob someone of a homerun over the centerfield fence or to rob them of extra bases against the glass. It didn't happen every time you went to a game (as much as we always wished it would), but I was lucky enough to see a few of those up close. One time right in front of us. If they didn't have glass back then, I could have patted Kirby on the head/back because it was directly right in front of us. As it stood, with the glass there, if that ball had been a few feet higher and it would have been a HR landing a couple rows behind us.

Kirby also was a crowd pleaser during batting practice as he'd do double duty for the fans. Occasionally knocking a couple out into the stands but also when he was in the field, tossing a few balls up into the stands for the fans, and also paying attention to the kids.

Believe me when I say this folks, it truly HURTS me with his passing. As a player, I don't think I ever loved another ballplayer more than Kirby. When he was with the Twins, he was loved by everyone. I have cried twice during my life when it comes to Kirby Puckett. I remember where I was when he announced his retirement from baseball. I was at a family gathering and when the news came across the TV, I swelled up, knowing that I'd never get to take my son to a game to see him (as he was only two at the time). It hurt in that he was taken away from the fans too soon with a condition that wouldn't allow him to play at that level any longer.

Hearing the news on Sunday of his stroke and then hearing on the radio here in Minneapolis of how he was in critical condition and it didn't look good. I was choked up again, but I figured he'd pull through. As I settled into work last night, I got the call from my son a few minutes after 7pm letting me know that Kirby had passed. It took me a couple of hours to compose myself as I found myself crying as though I had lost a loved one.

Well I did... I lost a loved one yesterday. A man who I watched for 12 years with great enthusiasm. A constant smile in some dismal seasons for my baseball team. A man that always said the right thing in front of the camera and always made the fans feel good. A guy that could go into a slump and as a fan, you never got down on him. You pulled for the guy when he was down (which wasn't often) and when he was on his game, he reminded you of why you loved baseball. He worked hard, he played hard and he gave it his all every time he stepped onto the field. He took the team on his shoulders countless times and took them to the next level. A leader a couple of World Series runs that brought two world championships to MN in 5 years.

One of the greatest games in Twins history was led by Kirby. That being game 6 of the 1991 World Series. After the Twins led the series after winning the first two games, the Twins came back to Minneapolis down to Atlanta 2 games to 3. Kirby told his teammates before that game (as we found out later) not to worry, climb on his back and he'd help lead them all to victory. This wasn't said in a demeaning manner towards his teammates. He was telling them he'd do what he could and together they'd beat those Braves! He did just that. With a 3rd inning HR steal from Ron Gant that would have easily given the Braves another run, Kirby effectively helped the Twins to an extra inning game. Had he not caught that ball, the series may have been over. Then in the 11th inning, with 0 out and 0 on, Kirby hit a game winning home run that many people will remember forever. He rounded the bases with his fist clenched in the air, forcing a rubber match in game 7... a game that a great many people consider to be the best game 7 in world series history. You can't put a price on a performance like that and you can't thank someone for taking charge and led his team to a very very important victory. He went 3-4 in that game with 3 RBIs, 2 runs and a sacrafice fly.

Sorry, I've written a book here. Actually, I could write a book. He was my favorite ball player ever. He has been missed and now he is gone forever.

Rest In Peace Kirby Puckett and thank you for the wonderful memories you gave us!

MLB ERA

Twins

A few images shamelessly borrowed from elsewhere on the internet:

MLB ERA
    Something else that people outside of MN may not know about or remember. Puckett was a guy who could have gone elsewhere, a couple of times. He signed contracts for less money than he could have gotten elsewhere, just to stay in MN. That sort of things goes a LONG way with me. When our tightass owner Carl Pohlad was doing his best to bury this team, sell the team, move the team, etc.... we always had some great players like Kirby Puckett and Kent Hrbek to look up to as guys that were MN Twins, through and through. They both could have gone elsewhere for better money and didn't.

I can't tell you how much I respect that. It's a trait we don't see too often in any sport anymore.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    That's pretty touching, Lynch.

Thanks for your insights.

When I first heard he had a stroke, I knew it was going to be bad. Chances of recovering from a stroke is tough and he wouldn't have been the same again. Just ask Dick Clark. He had a stroke not too long ago and decided to host Rockin' New Year's Eve bash.

My grandfather had a stroke in 1991 and was in hospital care for 1 year when my family decided to let him be with God a couple days after Christmas.

Rookie ERA
    Great post Lynch. I'm still too emotional to write down my memories but enjoyed reading yours. I only went to the Dome a handful of times during the Kirby years but I did get the opportunity to see nearly every home game and a few away games during Spring Training when there were here in Orlando. And have also made several trips to Fort Myers for a few games each year.

Thanks for sharing - hopefully sometime soon I'll be able to do so without having to look through my tears.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Lynch great post..

I will post my thoughts shortly still hard to do this!

What I dont understand is why in the hell did he let himself go like that? The weight was terrible, the picture with the wife to be Kirby must have been 60 plus pounds over weight!! It is a shame he had the personal issues Puckett was IS one of the best baseball players of all time. No one will ever carry a team like Kirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Puckett did. I can still here his name called when is was walking to the plate.

This is just to hard to continue.

Puckett you will never be forgotten..
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL