Thread: Gabe White is done

MLB ERA

Twins Gabe White is done

(from ESPN)

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Gabe White is worn out, and he told the Minnesota Twins Friday he's retiring.

One of three journeyman left-handers invited to camp to compete for a spot in the bullpen, with Dennys Reyes and Darrell May, White was with his seventh different organization.

Last season, he was released by Atlanta at the end of spring training and cut by St. Louis at the end of July after making six relief appearances. Minnesota signed him to a minor-league contract in January.

"I just laid awake all night last night, staring at the TV," White said. "Physically and mentally, it's just time to move on. Just time to let somebody else do it."

White gave up two triples and two runs in one inning for the Twins in Thursday night's exhibition game against Boston. He said his elbow was bothering him and his knee has swelled this spring after running.

"Not only is it the most difficult decision I've ever made in my life, it's also the scariest," he said. "Because now I have to figure out what I'm going to do."

White, 34, had his best year in 2000 with Colorado after an April trade from Cincinnati. He went 11-2 with a 2.17 ERA in 83 innings with five saves and 82 strikeouts for the Rockies that season. White also pitched for the Expos and Yankees in his eight-plus years of major league experience.

MLB ERA
    Not really newsworthy, but what the hey. I don't think too many people got worked up when the signed him and I think that he's doing the right thing if his head and body aren't in the game anymore.

I like to think the Enrique Wilson triple did old Gabe in
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AA ERA
    I like that Fischer lol
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett