Thread: 4/16/05: Twins/Indians

AA ERA

4/16/05: Twins/Indians

After a great game last night, both teams resume this series with an afternoon game today. I expect today to be as good as yesterday.

Dave Gassner will make his first start for the Twins today. He is filling in for Carlos Silva as Carlos is on the DL for 15-days with a torn cartliege. This is a big start for him. I hear lot of good things about him so I like to see what he does. You know the saying about how you should make the most out of your opportunity. Well Dave has an opportunity to do some good things and stay with the club. With the uncertainity of how Kyle and Joe Mays are going to do, Dave can somehow cement his way to the starting rotation if he can pitch pretty well when he has that opportunity. This is huge for sure. I really hope he does well. It will only put pressure on Kyle and Joe to get it done.

Dave is known as a "throw-in" as part of the Shannon Stewart-Bobby Kelty deal that was made in July during the All-Star break couple of years ago.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5351426.html

For more info on Dave, check out this article that Patrick Reusse did on him and his family today.

Gassner vs. Milwood

AA ERA
    Great job by the Twins this afternoon as they beat the Cleveland Indians 6-4. This is the second straight win against them in the three-game series.

It was a great game today. Indians had a 2-0 lead till Lew Ford hit a big three-run HR to give the good guys the lead and then Torii broke it open with a three-run HR of his own to give the Twins a big lead. It was good to see the offense come through and it was good to get that big two-out hit. The Twins have done a very good job all week getting that big hit with runners in scoring position.

Torii has had a good series against the Indians. It's good to see him get it going. I have a good feeling that he will have a huge year with his offense and he is showing you that this week,

Lew has been fantastic this week too. It's good to see him do well.

There was some good defense in this game as Juan Castro made some good throws in preventing the Indians in a hit and Jacques Jones made a huge play to rob Johnny Peralta of a extra-base hit. That play by Jacques may have been the turning point of this game.

The story of this game was Dave Gassner. He was fantastic out there today. I loved his composure. He was huge when he was in jams. He got better as the innings went out. I wanted six good innings out of him and he did just that. I am very proud of him. This performance was a huge pick-me-up for sure. I hope Dave can keep this up for several more starts because that would put lot of pressure on Kyle and Joe Mays to really step it up or risk losing their jobs. You know the saying about how competition can be a good thing.

Gassner's counterpart, Kevin Milwood did a darn good job too. Unfortuantely for him, he gave a pitch that was a easy to hit for Lew. He was done in the eighth when he gave up that three-run HR to Torii. I was suprised that Eric Wedge would leave him out there.

Terry Mullholland has been fantastic. Yeah he gave up a two-run HR in the ninth, but he was fantastic in the seventh and eigth. He saved Juan Rincon, J.C., and Jesse Crain from pitching in the game. You don't want to overuse your relievers so I am glad Terry tried to finish this game. It would have been nice to see him finish the ninth, but I am glady Gardy went with the Nathanator (Retro's nickname for Joe Nathan) to finish the game with 1 out. This is a game the Twins needed to win so I was glad Joe was there to finish it. You don't want to blow an opportunity to win this game.

Good win today. I am ready for the sweep. I want this sweep especially with the gangsta on the mound tommorow not to mention the She-ca-go Whiney Sux just keep winning (I still think they will choke when all is said and done).

MLB ERA
    Sounds like it was a pretty good game. Started off on the wrong foot but ended as it should have, with another Twins win. Sure would be nice to see a sweep of the Tribe. While I'm hardly a fan of Mullholland, it's good he was able to last a couple of innings to give the other guys time off the mound. (2-run HR in the 9th though?! Ugh.)

Nice post-game write up Steak (per normal).

AA ERA
    Thanks, Lynch. If you are interested in watching the game at work tonight via the computer, let me know. It was really a great performance by Dave Gassner, who is filling for Carlos Silva. I think you would love it. Unfortunately, my co-worker was peeved at me for watching the entire game at work in the office while he was the only one helping the students at the library.

As for TM, he is going to be a huge part of our pen. Look for him to pitch in the sixth and seventh innings when necessary. He will be assisting J.C. or relieving the starting pitcher if the Twins are hanging on a lead. Gardenhire has been using him in tight games and TM has gotten it done.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Gassner pitched outstanding. Did you read his comments about he could not sleep. He also was the first twins pitcher to start his first game as a pro and win. Milton was the other.

Jason
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AA ERA
    mntwinsfan: I know Dave's family, friends, and relatives was at the game today so I am sure he had to be nervous not to mentioned he wanted to make a first impression on the Twins. Dave really did a good job. He looked cool as cucumber.

Since you live in Colorado, maybe you can answer my question. You think the Rockies will break the record set by the 1962 Mets for the most losses? I think they could be worse than the Tigers from two years ago. That team is so bad.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I dont think so steak. They have a good young team. If the pitching continues to struggle then who knows. Kennedy pitched well last night. Once Wilson and Heltoon heat up they will be fine. Taso there closer closed out sf last night Tsao just got of the DL. I dont think they will lose 100 games.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL