Thread: Thome To The Twins!?

MLB ERA

Twins Thome To The Twins!?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanball.com
    News
    Jim Thome a Twin? The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports the Twins have had conversations with the Phillies regarding a possible trade for first baseman Jim Thome, where the Phillies would have to pick up a good share of Thome's contract. Thome is still owed $43.5 million over the next three years.

Views
    There is no way the Twins can afford Thome's salary, so Philly would definitely have to pick up a large portion of it. Thome is expendable since the Phillies seem prepared to move forward with Ryan Howard, who hit .283 with 22 home runs and 63 RBI in just 312 at bats as a rookie. Thus, if it's not the Twins, Thome will likely be dealt somewhere this winter.
    Borrowed from Yahoo Sports

MLB ERA
    My views:

I've been asking for a bigtime powerhitter for years. When Thome was a FA a couple of years back, he was one of the guys I used to say the Twins should go after. Of course, we always hear "the twins can't afford it". I say bullshit. Give me ONE good reason why they can't afford it. Carl Pohlad is the richest owner in all of MLB. What he cant' afford is 15,000 people in the seats because he puts an extremely average squad on the field day in and day out. You get a guy that can knock 40+ out of the park on the team and suddenly people become at least a little more interested.

So, to say we can't afford it is BS. "Won't" afford it is more like it. If not Thome, then someone else. This team needs two major overhauls. One is with the coaching staff (Scott Ulleger needs to go more than anyone) and the squad needs a big time power hitter.

Now I know Thome was hurt most of last season so his numbers are extremely weak compared to his career averages. Is he going to be able to to snap back after the elbow injury? I don't know. I'm also not sure if he's worth nearly 15M a year, but he's still got to have more potential as a power hitter than anyone else that the Twins have right now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Better off trying to trade for Delgado if you think the Twin "can" afford it.

Twins should try and goa fter Soriano before anyone. But there are a lot of players out there available for trade.