Thread: Twinsmania hit Twins Territory

AA ERA

Twinsmania hit Twins Territory

Strib's Paul Levy wrote a great piece on how Minnesotans has embraced this club. I am glad the fans have embraced the Twins. It's a fun team to watch. I really had a great time watching this team last year. It was fun watching this team performing. It's fun to see the young guys producing. It's fun to see guys like Johan, Joe Nathan, Justin, Carlos Silva, and etc performing. I just love the way the team plays the game and I love their attitudes. People can be proud to be a Yankees and Red Sox fan, but being a Twins fan is a lot better than being a Red Sox and Yankees fan. I say that because at least this team knows how to win by making smart trades and developing the right players. It's a lot better than signing free agents.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5336583.html

MLB ERA

Twins

I have to comment on the last thing you said, about developing talent and making trades and it being better than signing free agents. For the good of the game, yes, that's true. And for a LONG time, the Twins had a fantastic farm system and -did- do a good job developing talent (not saying they don't anymore, but my point is dealing with the past).

Unfortunately, some of those "smart trades" were actually just trades getting rid of big money guys that our tightass owner didn't want to pay. We've been pretty fortunate in some of those trades in the long run, but in the short run, it's crippled the team more than once.

Now as far as developing talent and trading for the right players, as I said, this is good for the game, but if you want to win, obviously getting FA's is key. The Red Sox proved this. The Yanks have proven it for years. The Braves have proven this for years, although the big prize eluded them almost countless times, they've been in the dance more than anyone in the past 14 years.

Unfortunately, the way the league is set up now, with a gutless, dumbass commish and a slew of his buddies voting for what's good for the few rather than what's good for the game, FA signing is the way to go. Granted a team like the Angels proved it can be done without it, and the Twins have beckoned on the grand prize the last few years, but only because they are in the weakest division in baseball.

I love the Twins. I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. I'll never forget the day my uncle took me to Met stadium and walked me down and got me an autograph from Rod Carew. One of my greatest childhood sports memories. Unfortunately, with the way the league is run now, by a bunch of gutless pussies who are afraid to take a stance on anything for fear of pissing off a few of their pampered crybaby "stars", if baseball folded, I'd shed a tear on the history of the sport, but I'd have nothing but dry eyes and contempt on the present state of baseball.

I better step off my soapbox for I've already soiled a good thread started by Steak. Sorry steak. I'm a fan of the game at it's purest level. I love watching kids play baseball. I love watching high school baseball. MLB has left such a sour taste in my mouth, that once in a while, I have to just rip it a little bit.

AA ERA
    Great post, Lynch. I understand your frustration. I share them, but what are we going to do. You forgot to mention the small-market Marlins won the WS too just couple of years ago as they beat the mighty Yankees.

Who did we exactly miss that left as a FA? Eric Milton stinks. Latroy Hawkins stinks. Did you know that Latroy blew a save for the Cubs yesterday afternoon against the Brew Crew? Latroy has been a bust for the Cubs. Eddie G has been brutal in Seattle. Cristian will stink with the Washington Nationals. Corey Koskie will be in the DL later this year.

The only one Twins fans should regret leaving is David Ortiz and I don't miss him much considering he is a steroid user not to mention he stunk with the Twins.

RLA made a great post about the Mets. He was telling me that in order to win it all, you gotta have players that have those intangibles that have it and the will to win. You can spend all your want, but the bottom line is the players need to have that special characteristic that wills them to win. I think the Twins got several players that have it like Torii Hunter for example.
    Last edited by Steak; 04-09-2005 at 07:11 PM.