Thread: Happy Birthday, Bert Blyleven

AA ERA

Happy Birthday, Bert Blyleven

Since he went on and on and on about his birthday today, I just wanted to wish him a happy birthday on behalf of this board.

I did not know Bert Blyleven makes such a big deal about his birthday. I guess that day is special in Minnesota and I guess it's a day of celebration. I guess next year I will treat myself for an ice cream on Bert's day. Bert was begging Lecroy to hit a HR for his birthday. Bert got what he wanted on his birthday which was a Twins win and a Matthew Lecroy HR.

It was funny to see Bert pop up the champagne in the booth to start the game and it was nice to see a tribute about his birthday.

I hope Bert enjoyed his 54th birthday.

Other notables that share Bert's birthday are Mariliu Henner, John Ratzenberger best known as Cliff Clavin as Cheers, Billy Dee Williams, and steroid user Bret Boone.

Happy Birthday, Bert.

MLB ERA
    I like Bert. I've liked him for many many years, but if I was listening to a broadcast where he brought up his B-day constantly, I think I'd turn off the sound and go with Gordon and Gladden on WCCO. That would get old quick.

Oh well, happy B-day Bert.

AA ERA
    Bert is a character. I try to be like him myself, but when he goes on and on and on about his birthday, it can get really old. The Circle Me Bert can drive me crazy too. I guess it's okay to do it maybe three times a game, but to do it 11 times drive me crazy. You are herby circle can drive me nuts.

When you deserve to be in the Hall, but you keep getting passed over you have to remind people that your getting old so hurry up and vote for him.

MLB ERA
    Unfortunately, Bert will probably never get into the Hall. He's one of the more deserving pitchers of the past 1/4 century with the wins (just shy of 300) the strikeouts (top 3 or 4 all time until the past couple of years when he's been passed up by Clemons and Johnson but he's still at like #6) and with quite possibly the most wicked curveball I have ever seen in my life. It's a goddamn shame he's not in the hall already and with the way things go in MLB and with the moronic press being the deciding factor, I don't think his chances get better with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    Unfortunately, Bert will probably never get into the Hall. He's one of the more deserving pitchers of the past 1/4 century with the wins (just shy of 300) the strikeouts (top 3 or 4 all time until the past couple of years when he's been passed up by Clemons and Johnson but he's still at like #6) and with quite possibly the most wicked curveball I have ever seen in my life. It's a goddamn shame he's not in the hall already and with the way things go in MLB and with the moronic press being the deciding factor, I don't think his chances get better with age.
    I know that he probably won't get in cause of two things...wins and losses, wins and losses mean very little its a team stat thats given to one player. I really hope that he can get in cause he is arguably the best pitcher not in the Hall.

MLB ERA
    I don't think many (if any) would argue your last point. Personally, in my heart, I know he's the best eligible pitcher not in the hall. It's a damn shame Tommy John isn't in as well, and he'd probably get in on the following ballot if it were up to me. Not on the same one, mind you, out of respect for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    I don't think many (if any) would argue your last point. Personally, in my heart, I know he's the best eligible pitcher not in the hall. It's a damn shame Tommy John isn't in as well, and he'd probably get in on the following ballot if it were up to me. Not on the same one, mind you, out of respect for both.
    The people that get to vote for the Hall don't agree with my point cause they never vote him in.

AA ERA
    Bert makes a sad, but good point. If he was a Yankee or Met, he is already in the Hall. It's really sad that it has to happen.

He should be in the Hall. I have no clue why he is not. Maybe his personality may rub people the wrong way. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Bert makes a sad, but good point. If he was a Yankee or Met, he is already in the Hall. It's really sad that it has to happen.

He should be in the Hall. I have no clue why he is not. Maybe his personality may rub people the wrong way. Who knows?
    He doesn't have 300 wins (which is stupid) and he has over 200 losses if I remember right (also stupid).