Thread: Twins to sign Doumit

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins Twins to sign Doumit

Per MLBTR.com
    The Twins agreed to sign Ryan Doumit to a one-year deal worth $3MM, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter). The deal, which is pending a physical, includes performance bonuses. Sosnick/Cobbe Sports represents Doumit.

The 30-year-old posted a .303/.353/.477 line in 236 plate appearances for the Pirates in 2011. His role with the Twins figures to depend on the health of Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau. He can catch, play first base or, if both Mauer and Morneau are healthy, contribute as a DH or right fielder.

Doumit, a Type B free agent, may lead to a compensatory draft pick for the Pirates in 2012. Pittsburgh would have obtained a supplementary first round pick under the previous set of rules, but it's unclear how the new CBA will affect draft pick compensation.

Twins GM Terry Ryan has been busy since assuming leadership of the baseball operations department earlier this month. Minnesota signed infielder Jamey Carroll to a two-year, $6.75MM deal last we
    Wow! This makes the Barajas signing look even worse and I for one can't believe got such a small deal. I thought for sure he could get $5 million based on his bat alone but a good deal for the Twins who now have a solid backup (offensively) in case Mauer or Morneau goes down again. Doumit can also DH, play 1B and RF. I think he is a good fit for the Twinkies!
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 11-18-2011 at 04:08 PM.

MLB ERA

Re: Twins to sign Doumit

If he can stay healthy, he should be a good fit for the Twins. He plays all over the field and can hit a little bit, too. Not sure what this signing means for the chances of Cuddyer coming back, though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The only thing he can actually play is DH. You don't want him anywhere near the field. He wasn't worth much. How can an oft injured, can't play an ounce of defense, and isn't that great of a hitter to offset every poor skill he has command much?

Doesn't. Cheap signing, he won't matter, much like he never mattered in Pittsburgh.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    How can an oft injured, can't play an ounce of defense, and isn't that great of a hitter to offset every poor skill he has command much?
    Have you paid attention to the free agent market?

MLB ERA

I like this. For once a guy signs for something fair relative to his skill level and not to what some dumbass other GM overpaid somebody worse than him.