Thread: Mauer makes first career start in right field

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Twins Mauer makes first career start in right field

Mauer makes first career start in right field | twinsbaseball.com: News

Mauer was forced to play in the outfield for the first time in his professional career, as the club has been hit by a recent rash of injuries, including Michael Cuddyer (neck herniation), Matt Tolbert (sprained left wrist) and Denard Span (migraines). Outfielder Jason Kubel is also out of action, as he's attending to a family matter in San Diego, and isn't expected to return until Friday.

Mauer said before the game that he never even played outfield in high school, but remembers playing outfield in amateur town ball games in Minnesota.

"I can probably count on one hand how many times I've played in the outfield, ever," Mauer said. "It's been an interesting year. Hopefully, it's just today and we can get some guys in here, and it's just a one-time deal."

Mauer, who used Kubel's glove while taking fly balls during batting practice, said he didn't find out he'd be playing right field until 3 p.m. CT and that Justin Morneau was the other alternative.
    "He smiled, and asked me if I was serious, and I said, 'Absolutely, I'm serious,'" Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said prior to the series opener. "So he told me, 'Fine,' and he took some balls out there in early BP. He said he'd do whatever we needed him to do."

MLB ERA

Re: Mauer makes first career start in right field

He did just fine out there. He's a very good athlete and could likely play there anytime he is asked to do so.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon