Thread: Thome's Baaaaaack

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins Thome's Baaaaaack

Twins re-signed DH Jim Thome to a one-year, $3 million contract with incentives based on plate appearances.
    Thome, 40, blasted 25 homers in just 276 at-bats with the Twins last season and Minnesota was able to stave off Texas, who was hot on his trail over the last week. As he did last season, Thome will log at-bats at DH when its vacated by Jason Kubel, pinch hit and provide spectacular insurance if Justin Morneau's concussion rehab drags into the season. This is a big domino to fall in on the designated hitter front and you should expect to see Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon, amongst others, find a dance partner relatively soon.
    Don't know why it took this long to bring him back but it was the right thing to do. I don't expect Thome to repeat his amazing '10 performance but do expect him to be effective. The Twins brought back Pavano and Thome and picked up the Japanese import Nishioka but not much else this offseason. The Twins need more in my opinion to stay atop the Central.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Thome's Baaaaaack

This is great for the Twins, for the reasons mentioned in the article. I agree with you LTR, he may not have the same year as last year, but to have him around the clubhouse will help the younger guys again.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

Re: Thome's Baaaaaack

Thome announced early in the negotiations that he preferred to come back to the Twins. I'm sure other teams offered more money, but he seems to be happy coming back.
    I'm glad to see it. He gives the Twins some great leadership and a tough lefty off the bench in games he doesn't DH.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon