Thread: Twins win the bidding on

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Twins Twins win the bidding on

Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that the Twins have won exclusive negotiating rights on infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka.
    The Twins now have 30 days to work out a deal with the 26-year-old infielder. He played shortstop in Japan and could allow Minnesota to non-tender J.J. Hardy, who made $5.1 million in 2010 and will be seeking a raise. Nishioka batted .346 and won the Nippon Professional Baseball batting title in 2010. He's likely to score a long-term contract from the Twins, who paid about $5.3 million to lure him away from the Chiba Lotte Marines.
    Good to see the Twins out in front on this one. Also glad to see the bid wasn't that high. I can't recall a Japanese born player ever playing for the Twins so this is also huge for the franchise. I hope the Twins can work this out and get a deal done but I want to see what this kid is all about. Twins are saying they see him as their second baseman so Hardy still might be in the fold.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Twins win the bidding on

A contact-based, switch-hitting shortstop from Japan. Hope you guys are fans of Kaz Matsui.

MLB ERA

The Twins are getting very agressive in the international market. They signed the best prospect in the Dominican Republic (Miguel Sano-Jean), the best prospect in Europe (Max Kepler-Rozycki) and now this kid.
    They have 30 days to work out a deal or he goes back to Japan.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If he signs, please tell me I am not the only one who hopes he picks up a Minnesota accent over time.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

lol

what minnesota accent are your talking about?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nish said in a press conference that he was looking forward to playing with the Twins. Good sign.

MLB ERA

He said his wanted to play on the West Coast (for the Dodgers, if reports are to be believed), but I think he just wants to see what he can do against major-league competition. I'll be happy to see him in a Twins' uni.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He said that before he knew who won the bid or before the bidding process even started. What he said came today so the Twins have to be pleased at least. He could say no thanks and just stay in Japan. I hope the deal gets done quick so the Twins trade Hardy to the Giants if tendered a contract

MLB ERA

A lot will depend on whether Hudson accepts the arbitration or not. If he comes back, the Twins have too many middle infielders and will be able to move one of them. I hope to see them get something in return for their excess.
    Prediction -- 4-years, $24M.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I thought the Twins only offered Hudson arbitration in a gentleman's agreement that he wouldn't accept it?

MLB ERA

Maybe he'll want to not change uniforms for the 5th year in a row?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Why? It keeps it fresh Maybe he has creditors trying to find him